Mini Fish Farm

you want to breed things like dwarf cichlids like apistos, corys, tetras these will always sell well. :good:
 
Guys, what do you think of some sort of pipework running between racks (along the walls) supplying air/water....? Some sort of large pump/pumps to feed the lot...?

In an ideal world, this fishroom will be run with minimum maintenance. If there's systems that can be built that can do water changes, etc...I'm interested in looking into it. :)

Centralized air systems are a common way of setting up fishroom filtration, and the way mine is set up. Besides being cheaper to run, you only have to plug one pump into a generator to continue filtration if the power goes out.

There are quite a few ways to set up auto water changers, from drip systems with drilled tanks, to overflows where you don't have to drill, water feeds on timers, etc. Most incorporate a large carbon filter inline to eliminate chlorine & chloramine. Some are incorporated into a centralized system, some a regional system, others keep the tanks all individual.
 
If I were you I'd suggest searching for a few rarer species on ebay - if there aren't any sellers of them, give it a go.

As for the more common species - frankly I think you're wrong. People will generally buy common species from their LFS because:

a) they can check the condition of the fish
b) theres next to no risk in transporting the fish (as opposed to posting, which is what you'd be doing)

I'd strongly advise against going whole hog - start breeding some rarer species (like rocknurworld suggested) in the tanks you already have and see how you get on. Set up an ebay shop and if it works out, look to expand.


I think right now you're acting on impulse and I'd advise against that. Take a bit more time to test your ideas on a small scale - you can always expand easily if you choose to once you've gained some experience and decided it is the right thing to be doing.
 
Thanks for all the advice guys....it's very helpful :good:

As for which fish to bread....

Yeah, I would like to breed the more difficult species..but I don't think it's wise to attempt this straight away :unsure: (maybe attempt one difficult species right from the start-see what happens :) )

tenohfive: Maybe your right ,mate -_- It may prove difficult shifting the more common species. I think it will be trial and error with these type of fish...if they don't sell..I'll stop breeding them. :) It's going to give me experience with the easier fish, also.

Tolak: Interesting...going to put a lot of thought in this area.... :)

Edit: Here is a very rough idea of what this fish house could look like (pic isnt that good...was taken in a fully lit room with acer orbicam -_- , but you can make out the angles :) )



Looks a lot squarer than it actually is...don't know if it's my drawing or the camera, ,lol!
 
Thanks for all the advice guys....it's very helpful :good:

As for which fish to bread....

Yeah, I would like to breed the more difficult species..but I don't think it's wise to attempt this straight away :unsure: (maybe attempt one difficult species right from the start-see what happens :) )

tenohfive: Maybe your right ,mate -_- It may prove difficult shifting the more common species. I think it will be trial and error with these type of fish...if they don't sell..I'll stop breeding them. :) It's going to give me experience with the easier fish, also.

Tolak: Interesting...going to put a lot of thought in this area.... :)

do stuff like corys and apistos, rams like i said before they arent as common as goppus etc. but youll sell them well and theyre not totally difficyult to breed either some are fairly easy


:good:
 
I would start slowly. Take some fish you have experience with and start selling them, not on a fulltime basis though. Start out as a hobby, and see how it develops. When you become successful add new species, diversify and build up. In this way your investments will be spread over a larger period and if it doesn't work out, you have not lost that much

I would start slowly. Take some fish you have experience with and start selling them, not on a fulltime basis though. Start out as a hobby, and see how it develops. When you become successful add new species, diversify and build up. In this way your investments will be spread over a larger period and if it doesn't work out, you have not lost that much
 
Hey, maybe you should have a look at this website I've came across to compare fish prices for tropical, coldwater, marine and plants.

www.cheapfish.co.uk

Also, maybe you should try to breed creating new strains like perhaps a long-finned neon or a sailfin clown loach. Just experiment and mix and match
 
sorry but that website lacks in information,and the colour selection of parrot fish is rather disturbing,i would also like is from last year.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top