Mikaila's 20gal Planted Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Mikaila31

Always Watching
Reaction score
I probably should of started this 2 years ago when I first started this tank, but what ever..........lol

My 20 gallon High

red sea pressurized co2 "paint ball" <------its cute kay
1x55 watt 6700K(2.75wpg)
flourite substrate
EI ferts(when I remember)

Plants:
H. polysperma
a few bits of cabomba
brown crypt.
moss ball
Süßwassertang! or what ever you want to call it
floating pennywort

Fish:
1 p. gertrudae
some juvenile male endlers
2 threadfins
2 dwarf frogs
6- rasboras(not sure what kind)
pair of clown killis
shrimp mania

I'm not quite sure where this tank is going. I'm currently working on the Süßwassertang. I treated the tank with some melafix about two weeks ago. The Süßwassertang did not like this. It damaged a lot of the new growth, the damage was minimal. But since it grows from the tips, it's growth pattern has been throw off so it looks kinda scrappy IMO. Time will fix it, but it drives me crazy.

I'm also working on changing the light out. I'm switching over to a 9325K bulb. I got the bulb, I've had it for months. The problem is my fixture is a square pin and the bulb only comes in straight pin :X . I'm looking for a converter, or I will chop off the old socket and put on a straight pin socket.
IMG_8228.jpg

IMG_8243.jpg

IMG_8330.jpg

IMG_8324.jpg

Süßwassertang! or what ever you want to call it

Pellia which is supposed to be really slow growing and boy you've got a lot of it. Well done

AC

Round pellia, Süßwassertang, or it's hard to find latin name Lomariopsis lineata. It's not pellia, though they do look very similar. I had pellia once and it all died and made a big mess. Süßwassertang is apparently a fern gametophytes ???? IDK what that is. I wouldn't call it a slow grower, but it's not fast either. I started with a handful about a year ago. And I've sold a decent amount. It is really thick in some parts of the tank. It does pearl occasionally in small amounts.

Pellia grows by forking and it usually has a dark line down the center and pointy tips. Click on the pictures in that link and look closely at them

Süßwassertang really has no set growth pattern. It's really irregular, but it still forms those little round mounds. It tends to be lighter green and has no dark line down the center. The most noticeable difference is its rounded tips. I've read that it's only one cell thick. It's still rigid, but not as fragile as pellia. BTW the last pic shows some of the damage caused by the melafix.

IMG_8395.jpg

IMG_8397.jpg

IMG_8400.jpg

Tank looks great!

I love the plant that you are using for groundcover, where did you get it? Like was it online, or did you get it at your LFS?

I've been wanting to try to set up a really planted tank (like the ones here) for quite a while, so I'm just trying to figure out a list of what plants would look great.

I bet the frogs are in heaven in that tank!

Süßwassertang came off ebay, just do a search for round "round pellia" the seller is Aquatic Magic. Shipping takes awhile.

Frogs defiantly like it. Though they really have to dig to get into the Süßwassertang.
IMG_8236.jpg

Okay, thanks!

That's a pretty nice picture.

BTW, do you have a lid on the tank? I can't tell from they pictures, but a few make it look like you don't have one.

I'm just wondering, as I see a lot of planted tanks that don't have lids. They main thing that made me ask was the frogs, and I wasn't sure if they would try to escape.

Most reactions

Back