Microworms

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
These are my three microworm cultures. I have had them since October. They are growing in a medium of Quaker Old Fashioned Oats. Cook the oats and let them cool completely and add your starter culture. What you see on the underside of the lids is an overpopulation of the Microworms. I keep these and my Grindal worms in a closet as no worm likes light. About once a month I scoop out half the culture and replace with fresh cooked and cooled oats. I stir them in thoroughly. If you don't do this the culture will crash and you will have a stinky mess that will draw the ire of "She Who Must Be Obeyed". Another thing I do is stir up the culture once a week. This helps eliminate anaerobic pockets in the culture and keeps production up. Microworms are easy to culture and maintain. They are the perfect first fry food. Live food that moves triggers a frys strike response that ensures that they are eating. Give them a try. You'll be glad you did.
image.jpg

Yeah, I bought it from a fellow AKA member. Lots of places online have them. They're easy to find but you won't find them around town unless you live in a real big city. If you take care of them you will always have them and you can start new cultures anytime. What I throw away every month in the rejuvenation process would start several new cultures.

I stir them in thoroughly. If you don't do this the culture will crash and you will have a stinky mess...
Hi, replying to an old thread here.
When you do/did stir up your cultures, would it not suffocate the worms that were mixed deeper into the growing medium?

I've read that the worms only inhabit the top 5mm of the medium.

I'm starting my own microworm culture tomorrow 😊

Hi, replying to an old thread here.
When you do/did stir up your cultures, would it not suffocate the worms that were mixed deeper into the growing medium?

I've read that the worms only inhabit the top 5mm of the medium.

I'm starting my own microworm culture tomorrow 😊
No , it does not seem to suffocate any microworms . The culturing medium gets a bit soupy and they must climb toward the surface . The purpose of the stirring is to break up any anaerobic dead spots that will make stink bubbles for lack of a better term . You will be making new cultures every couple weeks and this keeps them refreshed in the meantime . You will know by the appearance and smell that everything is good . It should smell like strong stale / flat beer , kind of yeasty , and it should never have a crusty appearance .

No , it does not seem to suffocate any microworms . The culturing medium gets a bit soupy and they must climb toward the surface . The purpose of the stirring is to break up any anaerobic dead spots that will make stink bubbles for lack of a better term . You will be making new cultures every couple weeks and this keeps them refreshed in the meantime . You will know by the appearance and smell that everything is good . It should smell like strong stale / flat beer , kind of yeasty , and it should never have a crusty appearance .
Brilliant, thank you 🙌

I do it the other way, I prepare a new medium and only spoon some of the worms from the top layer from the old one and do a full replace. Works as well :)
Oh I also have them on top of one of my fishtanks with light from the window and light from the tank light blasting into them, no real problem there. TBH they dont climb up as much if they are in the dark, if I put them in the light, they climb up. Might be different experience

I do it the other way, I prepare a new medium and only spoon some of the worms from the top layer from the old one and do a full replace. Works as well :)
Oh I also have them on top of one of my fishtanks with light from the window and light from the tank light blasting into them, no real problem there. TBH they dont climb up as much if they are in the dark, if I put them in the light, they climb up. Might be different experience
Thank you, that's useful to know 😊

Micro worms are not fussy if they're kept in a dark or daylight Micro worms will multiply faster When kept at a temperature of 70 F and above, I keep mine in the plastic takeaway containers, It can help to Lightly rub inside walls of container with fine sand paper In turn this can help for worms to climb up sides If for some reason worms are not doing well, you can also sprinkle a little Brewers yeast on top of culture I keep my cultures on top of my fish tanks Where they receive a lot of daylight. I prefer to use Ready Brek it's Quick and easy to mix I also use it for grindal worm. and fruit flies .I have kept micro worm cultures for more than 30 years I've never been bothered too much about the smell However, what I have found is to mix Oaks / ready break With milk instead of water The smell will not be so bad and the culture can last longer

Just so happens that my first starter culture is due today. I want them for my pygmy corys.
I had ordered some on eBay that I was supposed to get at the beginning of the month. They never arrived. So I ordered some on Etsy and that has much better shipment tracking. I let the eBay guy know and he was cool about it. He said he'd send another.
I'm starting out with an instant mashed potato culture. Next week, I'll make one from oats. Just to see what I like better. Right now the plan is to have four cultures going at once and I'll replace the oldest one once a week.
@fish48 That sandpaper idea sounds like a really good one. I already made a culture this morning in anticipation of today's shipment. I'll try that starting next culture.

.I have kept micro worm cultures for more than 30 years I've never been bothered too much about the smell However, what I have found is to mix Oaks / ready break With milk instead of water The smell will not be so bad and the culture can last longer
I have to be honest. That sounds like it would be worse. But I've been doing this long enough to know that sometimes things are counterintuitive.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back