Mickey mouse platty acting sick!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Colin asked for the results of tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH. Without knowing these levels, we can only guess. Before you acquire any more fish that could make things even worse, let us know these numbers.

Water tested fine today. I'm still trying to find out about our water hardiness in pennsburg.
PH: 6.8 - 7.2
Ammonia 0 or less.

Water tested fine today. I'm still trying to find out about our water hardiness in pennsburg.
PH: 6.8 - 7.2
Ammonia 0 or less.

While waiting for the GH of the tap water, from the pH being 6.8 to 7.2 I wold think the GH may be on the soft side, and this will weaken the platies if not actually be the issue. Livebearers must have moderately hard or harder water, and a basic (above 7.0) pH, and if the pH hovers around 7 and gets below, this is not basic enough for these fish. But the GH will confirm or refute this assumption.

So I called our water supply quality control place. They said Pennsburg is a large area, therefore, GH ranges from 142 mg/L to 200mg/L.

So I called our water supply quality control place. They said Pennsburg is a large area, therefore, GH ranges from 142 mg/L to 200mg/L.

This helps. With the GH this low, I would not maintain livebearers, there simply is not sufficient dissolved mineral (primarily calcium and magnesium) in the water. If your GH is at the upper end of the given range, it should bee OK, but if it is below that, certainly not. So I would not consider more livebearers. The other fish are fine. The pH is OK, and if it lowers which it might, that's OK too (for the other fish, not livebearers).

I've watched the videos, and read your posts again, and I would suggest first that the softish water has weakened the platies which makes them more susceptible to problems. I would also suggest that the chasing by the red tail shark is undoubtedly part of the problem; I realize you are attempting to re-home it, and that cannot be done fast enough. This species once it takes a dislike to any other fish is relentless until that fish/those fish are dead.

I do not generally get involved in disease issues as I have so little experience (fortunately) and thus little researched knowledge in this area. But there are always some general observations one can make, as Colin did about water changes, etc. And here I would say the platy is not going to recover no matter what you do, so euthanization would be kinder in the long-term. The male is pestering her, which is more stress, on top of the shark. When fish develop the swimming this platy is doing, I have never heard of recovery because, according to a marine biologist I know, the internal damage caused by whatever is permanent. Treating the tank for this or that which is highly unlikely to help this fish is only causing more trouble because any additive to the water gets inside all the fish, and unless this is absolutely essential it should not occur. Water changes, fine, with a good conditioner, nothing else.

Thank you for all the advice. I feel terrible for the female platty and ofcourse responsible. Although the aquarium store didn't think educate me about GH and that I shouldn't have platty with my other fishes. They also thought my red tail shark would have been fine as long as I just get one of them.
Anyhow, thank you again.
You have been more than helpful.

Thank you for all the advice. I feel terrible for the female platty and ofcourse responsible. Although the aquarium store didn't think educate me about GH and that I shouldn't have platty with my other fishes. They also thought my red tail shark would have been fine as long as I just get one of them.
Anyhow, thank you again.
You have been more than helpful.

You're very welcome, and thank you.

One thing you have learned from this is never trust advice from staff in a pet/fish store unless you know the person's level of knowledge/experience. It is easy enough to research fish species' requirements, on this forum or sites like Seriously Fish. It can save much grief for you and the fish.

Before you euthanise the platy, get the male out and do some water changes and see if her behaviour changes. Even if you get a breeding net and put the male in that for a few days. If he is causing the female to hide then her behaviour will change once he is no longer pestering her. And putting some plants in the tank would help too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back