Methylene Blue Safety?

Jessipoo

New Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi guys.

I use water with methylene blue (until it turns blue but not too dark) to soak my net as a precaution.

My 20 gallon is in my bedroom where I spend most of my time in when I'm not out or in school, and I was wondering if methylene blue was safe.

I noticed that after a couple of days the water gets less blue which means it's evaporating and I'm breathing it. I put a cap over the bucket but still.

So is it safe? Or rather.. is not it not too dangerous (IE cancerous etc.)

I already stopped using malachite green and have it in my basement for big emergencies (so it's as far as possible from me).
 
why do u use this for your nets?? you could just rinse them in a bleach solution then rinse with water,then let them dry naturally,is it in your tank all the time too??
shelagh x
 
Hi guys.

I use water with methylene blue (until it turns blue but not too dark) to soak my net as a precaution.

My 20 gallon is in my bedroom where I spend most of my time in when I'm not out or in school, and I was wondering if methylene blue was safe.

I noticed that after a couple of days the water gets less blue which means it's evaporating and I'm breathing it. I put a cap over the bucket but still.

So is it safe? Or rather.. is not it not too dangerous (IE cancerous etc.)

I already stopped using malachite green and have it in my basement for big emergencies (so it's as far as possible from me).


there is no need to use methylene blue with your nets

just dry them out thourougly then nothing will be living on them.
 
Methylene Blue is effective against superficial fungal infections of fishes. The drug may be used as an alternative to Malachite Green for the control of fungus when it is known that the fish to be treated are sensitive. Methylene Blue is safe for use with fish eggs and fry for the prevention of fungal infections. As a secondary use, it is effective against some external protozoans, such as Ichthyophthirius (Ich), Chilodonella and Costia.

Cut and pasted from.....

http://www.novalek.com/kordon/methylene_blue/index.htm
 
welcome to tff jessipoo! x

thanks nick16!

no it's just soaked in the bucket for times I don't use it, cuz I had a case of columnaris with my tetras (sadly I misdiagnosed and only one is left, still sick, trying my best)

so just in case I just leave the net in there when handling stuff in the aquarium or whatnot in case one of the fish DO have something.
the quantity of methylene blue should be minimal then (in my main tank, transfered from the net).

I was just wondering if it was unsafe for me to be breathing the evaporated MB...?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top