Melefix

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

rolie82

Reaction score
hi all,
Okay Benn having a problem with my tank, bought some new fish last week and all the fish have become ill, over the last week and a half Before we got the new fish we did a gravel clean and 30 pecent water change,3 days later added 3 fish 2 tiger barbs and a spotted puffer to our okay stocked tank, 1 large gold anglefish,1 medium dalmation angle,4 tiger barbs,1 danio,2 neon barbs,pleco
2 days after introduceing them they all started to fall ill, we treatd for ick and used melifix. every day we have lost a fish one by one could the melifix be doing more damage then good?
thanks

30 gl,
live plants
2 neon barbs
1 danio
1 pleco

To be 100% honest Melafix does not one thing for fish, i chucked my bottle out! all it is, is tea tree oil witch i say shouldnt be put in tanks! my opion though guys. You want the best thing for your fish? water changes you cant go wrong with water changes, i do not condition or add anything into my tanks and my fish are all fat and healthy.

It's just a tonic, nothing more.

I would say the problem was caused by the new additions, and not the medicines.

Sorry to see that your stock has dwindled down so much. :/ If you feel that the new additions were the cause of the deaths, you might be able to return them for a refund, provided you haven't thrown out the bodies.

Melafix is useless for treating ich. You need anti-protozoan medication for ich. You should use the correct medication and only when necessary. Otherwise, ALL medication have potential to do more harm than good.

Thanks all,
did do a ick treatment alone and then the melafix.deaths have stopped no more losses
have only four fish left but all seems well as of the moment thanks again. and I stopped the melafix! dang crap think that helped kill them

I'm also not a big Melafix fan.
I agree with VIP. Frequent water changes are best. :nod:

How much did you put in?

First, Puffers should be in a species only tank. Second, tiger barbs can't be mixed with angels. They'll nip their nice long fins.

hey thanks,
did not know puffers needed to be in that inviroment, also i have had the barbs and angles for 1 1/2 years with no problems. go figure
did the melafix for 4 days and then stopped it. still no deaths tank is clean and free of any deatly ill looking fish ....... so far so good!
thanks again!! oh yea threw out melafix!!

Lin

Melafix in my opinion is one of the finer products of the market if it is utilized in the correct situations. This tonic was produced not to be a miracle cure for any aquatic ailment but to initially repair damaged fins and prevent infections. For example my female betta leaped across the divider that separated her from her male counterpart and was literally almost left without fins. With melafix therapy bacterial infection was avoided and her fins grew back withina a matter of weeks. i am personally a great supporter of melafix and its healing properties.

firlstly fully agree with one point of VIP points water changes are the best thing for good fish keeping however Melafix is a great product IMO and I feel a lot happier knowing I have bottle in stock all the time

imo

ps I love the smell :D

melafix is :cool:

I agree with zachjr_14 and Ob1. Melafix worked great for my mollies half eaten tail. The smell is great!

Mezo

I think that Melafix is great too. I use it when I see signs of a nipped fin or finrot and also whenever I have added a new fish to the tank. I've never had a problem and I have always seen positive results. I always have a bottle on standby just in case. :p

Melafix and Pimafix almost murdered all of my tiger barbs when I used them to try to cure a persistant case of mild tailrot in one fish. I don't know how or why, but I would not use it without caution. Once I carbon filtered the Melafix and Pimafix out, they started recovering - but not before all of them got terrible fin rot, sloughing slime coats, etc. They just hung in place, twitching and rotting away. One barb developed a huge ulcer on his side that ate almost all the way through him before it finally started healing (he actually survived, amazingly). The problems from this incident ending up claiming the lives of 3 barbs, and there's still one in there who didn't die, but has never regained the bottom half of his tailfin, which he lost in this plague.

Again, I don't know why it happened, but I'm about 95% sure it was the Mela and Pimafix. So I'd advise caution, and against high doses.

Most reactions

Back