Melafix And Pimafix

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mj32

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just wondering if this would be safe to use in a tank with live rock / soft corals / inverts etc

Just wondering on wether to have a bare quarrantine tank for new stock or if we can keep some rock and cleaner shrimp in it - seems like isolating new fish with a little prima/mela fix for a few weeks will be a good idea -_-

it is safe as even anenomes will survive under the treatment, how every ofcourse ur corals wont like it and will close up. But if u was going to use a quarantine tank its best just to have a empty bottom and a peice of ocean rock or some thing as then the medication wont get abosorbed by the gravel, also once u have finished the treatment put carbon in to take it out.
:good:

Neither are safe in a reef. There have been multiple reports in our local club to both of these products killing inverts.

Also it is never a good idea to use meds in your main tank anyway. You always want to set up a hospital tank and use your meds there, even if there is nothing else in the display.

Im not 100% sure, but i think that the products differ slightly in some concentrations between the us ank uk, due to different laws in the 2 countries. API say they are safe in reef tanks, and would have done vast research to be able to say so. I have never had any problems when selling the products for that use. To speak to Rena/API in the uk, call 020 8843 1766.

Although if you have the facility, a quarantine tank is always better that upsetting the whole tank.

Thanks guys,

We are having a major move around to have a quarrantine tank atm - basicaly the 20gal nano liverock / sand / inverts etc are going to be moved across to empty 40gal tank - which is being sorted to be the main display tank. The old 20gal nano then becoming a Quarrantine tank - where any new stock will sit for 3weeks or more....seems like the only way to avoid disasters.

:p

no medications period should be used in a reef tank IMO. even if they are said to be reef safe its just not worth the risk. i personaly have used melafix in my tank at the exact recomened dosage and it made all my cleaning crew act all wierd and my only coral at the time to close up. i had to slowly change over 50% of the water and put carbon in my filter b4 my inverts were ok.

I am currently dosing both. I know this is an old thread but for others that might come across this thread the way I did, ...Google, I thought I'd add my 2 centavos. 

I have a little bit of everything in my 70gal tank. I just got an elegance coral and found out its from Indonesia... It's been in my tank so I want to treat the whole tank to make sure all the Indonesian elegance killer is dead. I'm on day 3 of using both melafix and pimafix at the same time. Everything gets angry when I add it, especially my clams (derasa and maxima), but an hour later everything looks fine. My crabs and delicate coral banded cleaner shrimp seem unaffected. Xenia keeps pulsing away even when the palys around it close up. I was a little scared when my rock/flower anemones basically turned inside out. their mouth distended in a big bubble. this could have been from the numbing effect these products have. in an hour they looked happy again. my condylactis shrunk initially but came back just fine. Shrooms did the same. Palys and zoas closed up but were fine in about half an hour. Fish all seem fine. No deaths, though some things were obviously irritated. I would imagine it's a little like Icy-Hot (but not as intense). It burns a little but once it soaks in, it's very relaxing.

***My system has good surface agitation and I am running an air pump just to be safe. I think the problem many people have with this stuff, and some other treatments like algaecides, is oxygen depletion.***

I got my elegance coral a little over a week ago. On day three it started closing mid-day. Bad sign. No tissue recession, but I figured I better do something before its too late. After 3 days of dosing, things seem to be a little less irritated when I add it. The elegance is fully expanding now so I think it is helping. Fingers crossed. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back