Meet Guido

The June FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tekknocolor

Fish Herder
Joined
May 21, 2004
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
0
Location
Georgia, USA
Meet my three spot, Guido. He's a vain tank hog... The other day I was trying to get my female betta (Sita) to flare by using a mirror, but Guido kept getting in the way. Upon seeing his reflection he turned a darker shade of blue than what is show below. Does your gourami do the same??? Also, he puts his body parallel to the mirror and does this wavy dance ... Is this normal? Is he thinking his reflection is something to mate with?? I know he doesn't like other male gouramis, but doesn't treat them the same way.
 

Attachments

  • guido.jpg
    guido.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 44
My three spots turn darker when they're spooked or caught off guard. Perhaps that's the reason for the change in your gourami's coloration.
 
Bangin said:
My three spots turn darker when they're spooked or caught off guard. Perhaps that's the reason for the change in your gourami's coloration.
Maybe, but he doesn't freak out really. He actually looks like he's enjoying himself. While he's doing the dance and turning dark he's also... let me phrase this nicely... pinching a loaf. Also, as soon as he notices the mirror's there, he's all up on it. Don't know... maybe he's just a psycho gourami?
 
he could be flaring and tryign to ward off the other male becuase of that his territory.

Kinda like the way bettas flare when they see another male :D
 
cutecotton said:
he could be flaring and tryign to ward off the other male becuase of that his territory.

Kinda like the way bettas flare when they see another male :D
Could be, but it doesn't appear to be the same aggression as when I had the gold gourami in with him. He's definitely a strange character for sure!
 
tekknocolor said:
Meet my three spot, Guido. He's a vain tank hog... The other day I was trying to get my female betta (Sita) to flare by using a mirror, but Guido kept getting in the way. Upon seeing his reflection he turned a darker shade of blue than what is show below. Does your gourami do the same??? Also, he puts his body parallel to the mirror and does this wavy dance ... Is this normal? Is he thinking his reflection is something to mate with?? I know he doesn't like other male gouramis, but doesn't treat them the same way.
He is strutting his stuff to something he thinks is another male/female. Bettas do it all the time, they show off eachothers fins to sort of "brag."
 
I figured he was doing as much when he was doing his "crazy dance". It's actually quite amusing and fun to watch him because it's as if he's saying Look at me! I can dance and I'm pretty... lol
 
hahaha.

I was thinking of something to compare it to, like a girl throwing her hair from one side to the other... or something.. :dunno:
 
GodricPuffer said:
hahaha.

I was thinking of something to compare it to, like a girl throwing her hair from one side to the other... or something.. :dunno:
That's exactly how he acts...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top