Meet Grumpy the Orange Mexican Dwarf Crayfish

MuddyWaters

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I love this guy. He's a bit shy, and he looks kind of grumpy, thus the name. I tried to go with Gruñón,, but I can't figure out how to type the spanish letters without copying them, so I'm stuck with plain ol' Grumpy. Yesterday I found him eating a shrimp. I freaked out and looked up whether the dwarf crayfish eat them ( I had checked before, but doubted my memory). I found that he'll only eat them if they're dead or sick, so he's ok. He's back to being cute again LOL.
GrumpyCrayfish22Jan24.jpg
GrumpyCrayfish22Jan24-2.jpg
GrumpyCrayfish22Jan24-3.jpg

Oh, I adore him. There's something so special about crayfish. I'm glad it turned out that he hadn't suddenly become a murderer!

p.s. if you have a Mac computer, you can press and hold down a letter key and you should see a menu pop up on screen with accented letter options. You just press the number corresponding to the one you want, while still holding down the letter key. If you have a computer running Windows, here's the official list of keyboard shortcuts for international characters ;)

Edit: hmm.. seems like those are specific shortcuts for the Outlook app. I use a Mac, so I'm not familiar with Windows, but I know there are other shortcuts available.

Last edited:
Does he disrupt your plants at all? I think crayfish are cool, but I've heard that crayfish can be a little destructive in a planted tank. (I'm new to this, this is a question not a criticism)

I kept 3 crayfish (rescued from a grocery store) years ago. First grade class my youngest child was in, over spring break one ate the other 2, so while Grumpy is adorable I don't know if I'd trust him. Seafood is seafood, lol

I love those guys... I had a few for a while... these are dwarf cray's the ones I had, were actually smaller than my mature Armano shrimp... I'm sure they are much less destructive than full sized crays

Last edited:
crawdad_Oct2015.jpg

this guy or girl was swimming up my road in flooding rain in 2015 and my neighbor's kids caught 3 and brought them to me, I chunked in a pond and forgot about. went to clean the pond a few months later and fished him and another out of my lily pots, they made their own caves. Sent down to the lake my daughter lives near, they returned to nature

Does he disrupt your plants at all? I think crayfish are cool, but I've heard that crayfish can be a little destructive in a planted tank. (I'm new to this, this is a question not a criticism)
He doesn't mess with the plants at all. I have a lot in there and they're all doing well. They don't mess with even the baby shrimp unless they're dead or dying. At least that's what I read. So far so good! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back