meds are FINALLY working!

Loboto-Me

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
After many many months of tail problems, Tatsumi's tail is finally showing more progress than I've ever seen.

As some of you know, my boy is a tail chaser. About a month or so after I got him, he started chasing his tail and biting it off. I treated with Bettafix with small amounts of success, and as his tail started to grow back slowly, he started bitting again and made it Plakat short. Keep in mind this is a veiltail so you can imagine how much tail he's been missing for all these months.

I went through a whole bottle of bettafix with limited success. His tail would grow back very slowly and then stop it's growth all together after about one millimeter of new growth. He has always been super active and healthy in spite of all of his fin problems.

When I ran out of bettafix, I went to the store to get a new bottle but unfortunately..... unknowingly it was fortunate, they didn't have any more in stock. Instead, I bought Melafix, with trepidations because I had heard that it can be dangerous to use with bettas and gouramis.

Well the bottle said, 1 tsp per 10 gal. That would be 1/10 th of a tsp for his 1gal. tank. I don't have a measuring spoon that small, so I've been putting a small amount at the bottom of a 1/4 tsp, in the hopes that it would be about the right measure. Within one day I saw the growth he would have gotten in 1 week with the bettafix! He's been on Melafix for 2 treatment sessions now and wow what a beautiful difference it has made. The day after tomorrow his second treatment session will be over and he will get a Full water change instead of the partial that is recommended... as he's been spoiled with frozen bloodworms this week.

I plan on doing one last treatment session with the melafix after this water change and then give him a break to see if his tail will continue growing.

When Tatsumi's treatments are finished, he's not going to know what's happening to him... I imagine that after all this time, he must be addicted to those meds... maybe I should send him in to a 12 step program afterwards?

Actually, do you guys think I should try the 3rd week of melafix or should I just let it be?

I like melafix for fish with small problems like yours. I've had success with it also and use it if I've got a fish with problems that dosen't affect the rest of the tank.

ALASKA

Most reactions

Back