Mature Media Question

LilyRose Tank

Fish Herder
Reaction score
On visiting my lfs today, I spoke to the one bloke out of all of them, who has been consistent with his advise, and advised me to do fishless cycling. I told him of the problem I've been having with my tank no 1 ( Lily Rose's fishless cycle) with it stalling/or bacs dying? after a too good a clean. I asked if he was willing to give me some media, and he gave me something from behind his filter sponges that looked like wet coal. He told me to break it up, and add it to anywhere within my filter that i could get it in. So I got home and took a heavy object to it, and when it broke up it looked like growbag soil. So I made some wrap around envelopes out of muslin and place the " mushed coal" inside the muslin ( so it will be easily removed) and placed 2/3 of it in tank 1 and 1/3 in tank 2.) Just to recap tank i has stalled...ammonia 4ppm, nitrites and nitrates 0ppm, and tank 2 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 ..in 17hours after ammonia addition...nitrates 80ppm.
So was it a good idea to add this to my tanks or am I being duped?

was it Peat? sounds like Peat? I'm not sure it hold benificial bacteria, but if it is peat, you have to be a bit careful when putting it in ya tank.

NB not as in Pete the man that might work in the pet shop lol

Hi Jayne,

I'm not sure what he has given you. Maybe some type of activated carbon?

Anyway, if it was in his filter, chances are it has the bacteria you need all over it, so its probably going to have some benefit for your cycle.

Only water test reults will tell the full story.....

Have you checked our pinned list of members willing to donate media? Spesh seems to be the member closest to you. Have you tried PM'ing him / her?

Regards

BTT

HYI backtotropical, thankyou for your answer. I emailed Spesh but have had no reply. So either they are unavailable, or I dunno. Anyways only time will tell. I am desperate for this tank to shift this ammonia, my Betta is waiting for me. thanks

Most reactions

Back