Mated angels ready?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
As this is the first pair of mated angels I've ever owned, I have a few observations and questions. I noticed this morning at lights on that my Koi angel is slightly rounder than normal. I havent fed since wednesday night and the other angels are not plump at all. I never actually SAW my angels laying eggs so I am uncertain on who is the male and who is the female and if it is normal for an angel filled with eggs to be "round" for more than a day or so before laying eggs. I attempted to make a decent recording as getting my angels to stay still for a decent photo is impossible. I did notice that their "genitalia" or whatever you call them on the angels were exposed. Any info that someone experienced with angels could provide would be helpful.

Please ignore the breeder box in the corner, I bought it just in case they lay more eggs, might try my hand at raising fry.

plain gold angel is boy,
gold marble (gold and black patches) is girl.

females are fatter than males when they have eggs.
female has shorter wider ovipositor (egg laying tube), male has a longer thinner ovipositor.
males head gets a noticeable curve to it as they mature, females stay normal.

when they are close to laying eggs the will "peck" at the surface where they are going to lay the eggs.....both male and female, this could last for hours....they will also chase away any other fish from this area if the get close...this is the easiest way to tell if they are going to breed, in my experience

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back