Marine Sump Tank Lighting

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

michaelwgroves

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am planning on upgrading my 900L Tropical tank to Marine.
I purchased a 4ft sump tank in advance, which has been partitioned for live rock, a deep sand bed, heating and resoivior to return to main tank.
My question is; do I need lighting for my sump tank, I understand live rock does not need it, but is it advisable to provide it for anything I may put in my deep sand bed?
If so, what type of lighting should i get?

--
Michael

i am going to lob a small 18 watt t8 unit above mine, but i will be running some microalgy. think it would be a good idea if only so you can see what is going on in there :)

I am planning on upgrading my 900L Tropical tank to Marine.
I purchased a 4ft sump tank in advance, which has been partitioned for live rock, a deep sand bed, heating and resoivior to return to main tank.
My question is; do I need lighting for my sump tank, I understand live rock does not need it, but is it advisable to provide it for anything I may put in my deep sand bed?
If so, what type of lighting should i get?

--
Michael
ths might be helpfull
http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

adding some light would be usefull if you are growing macroalgae in the sump which is a great way of nitrate export. Also having a reverse day/night cycle in the sump is good to keep your PH more stable

Paula

Yeah, no need for fancy lighting in the sump. I just have a "daylight" flourescent over mine. One of those ones that are wound up and are used to replace incandescent lamps... Works great for my macro

yea hat should do he trick but, if i was you i would go for a bigger unit. i would go for a t8 unit that is close on the same size as your sump. But if the only reason for having a ligh down there is so you can see what you are doing(ie not growing microalgy) then it should be ok for you :) :good:

rob :)

Most reactions

Back