Marine Salt / Aquarium Salt

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

amf17

Reaction score
What is the main difference between the two. I use aquarium salt with my mollies but some people say to only use marine salt.

Aquarium salt is repackaged (and overpriced) un-iodised cooking salt, i.e., sodium chloride. Marine salt is a mixture of different salts that mimics the composition of salts in the sea. So there is sodium chloride, calcium carbonate, and a huge variety of other things in there.

In practise, the difference is this: Aquarium salt only increases salinity. This is useful for treating certain diseases, such as fungus, because the salinity dehydrates the fungi concerned, killing off the infection. Marine salt replicates seawater, in other words not only raises salinity but also raises pH and hardness and also provides certain trace minerals that perhaps fish and certainly invertebrates extract from the water (rather than food) to survive.

When keeping mollies, it can be argued that both can be used. The rise in salinity you get from either seems to reduce the toxicity of nitrate improving the overall health of the mollies and inhibits problems of finrot and fungus that mollies are prone to. But, without a doubt marine salt is the better of the two because it raises the pH and hardness as well as the salinity. Mollies like water that is hard and alkaline.

So, if you already have a box of aquarium salt, there's no need to throw it out. But if you are planning to go shopping, buy some proper marine salt mix and use that instead. It will create a more stable environment in the aquarium, reducing the chances of your mollies getting sick.

Cheers, Neale

What is the main difference between the two. I use aquarium salt with my mollies but some people say to only use marine salt.

Aquarium salt is repackaged (and overpriced) un-iodised cooking salt, i.e., sodium chloride. Marine salt is a mixture of different salts that mimics the composition of salts in the sea. So there is sodium chloride, calcium carbonate, and a huge variety of other things in there.

In practise, the difference is this: Aquarium salt only increases salinity. This is useful for treating certain diseases, such as fungus, because the salinity dehydrates the fungi concerned, killing off the infection. Marine salt replicates seawater, in other words not only raises salinity but also raises pH and hardness and also provides certain trace minerals that perhaps fish and certainly invertebrates extract from the water (rather than food) to survive.

When keeping mollies, it can be argued that both can be used. The rise in salinity you get from either seems to reduce the toxicity of nitrate improving the overall health of the mollies and inhibits problems of finrot and fungus that mollies are prone to. But, without a doubt marine salt is the better of the two because it raises the pH and hardness as well as the salinity. Mollies like water that is hard and alkaline.

So, if you already have a box of aquarium salt, there's no need to throw it out. But if you are planning to go shopping, buy some proper marine salt mix and use that instead. It will create a more stable environment in the aquarium, reducing the chances of your mollies getting sick.

Cheers, Neale

Hi,

i have 2 dalmations, 2 white and one dunno (red/black - i am told this is a molly). One of my mollies has just had babies, 14-16 in total. However, i also have a guppy & 2 female swords. i have beentold that i need to add salt to the water. So, having read these posts i have decided to add marine salt.

I would like to know, will adding this to the water harm my other fishes or my plants?

Cheers,

Hi,

i have 2 dalmations, 2 white and one dunno (red/black - i am told this is a molly). One of my mollies has just had babies, 14-16 in total. However, i also have a guppy & 2 female swords. i have beentold that i need to add salt to the water. So, having read these posts i have decided to add marine salt.

I would like to know, will adding this to the water harm my other fishes or my plants?

Cheers,

Read this sticky -----> http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=137887

Reading both that and the details above this thread should answer your Q...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back