Marine Newbie Needs Coral Ideas For 2 Foot Tank.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Well, its not really how many corals to get, it's more which corals can live together and how close can they be placed to each other

Seffie x

....say what?

aww this is just getting even harder now lol.

What corals should I avoid putting together and how close should I put them? Is there like a rule as to how close they go? Just uploading some pics now :) Spotted an other starfish bit bigger this time, I saw on a thread a pic of the mentioned one and they look the same. Also spotted a few brittle stars around the tank as well :)

Here we are with pics :)

P1030353.jpg
P1030354.jpg
P1030355.jpg
P1030357.jpg
P1030358.jpg

Full tank, Xenia, end shot, same Xenia, not sure?, live rock macro :)

Wills

okay just been watching the tank and there are some like red worms with white bits on. Ive seen about 5 so far, are these normal or are they a problem? Will the fish eat them once I get some in there?

Wills

Just read up on them.... and dottybacks eat them, and they can be bad for your tank. Looks like I have 2 types and both are bad one is paler than the other but as I said dottybacks eat them and since my GF wanted a magenta one it looks like its on the list now lol.

Do any other fish you know of eat these? Quite glad Ive spotted it early so I dont have it to worry about once I get corals etc in.

So yeah at the moment contemplating a stocking like

1 Court Jester Goby or 1 Six Line Wrasse (cant make my mind up, which would go better with the dottyback?)
1 Strawberry Dottyback
5 bumble bee nassarius snails
2 Astrea/trochus/turban snails
2 Scarlet leg hermit crabs (could I get 3?)
1 Pincushion Urchin (could I get 2? or 1 more of a different kind?)

Want to keep spot number 3 empty for now as I dont want to fill the gap before I fully understand fish. Is there anything I can add?

Wills

Just read up on them.... and dottybacks eat them, and they can be bad for your tank. Looks like I have 2 types and both are bad one is paler than the other but as I said dottybacks eat them and since my GF wanted a magenta one it looks like its on the list now lol.

Can we have a photo please?

Do any other fish you know of eat these? Quite glad Ive spotted it early so I dont have it to worry about once I get corals etc in.

So yeah at the moment contemplating a stocking like

1 Court Jester Goby or 1 Six Line Wrasse (cant make my mind up, which would go better with the dottyback?)

A goby or blenny for interest in and around the rocks - look at a bi colour blenny

1 Strawberry Dottyback -
oh, no - get a orchid dottyback instead, nicer and less aggressive

5 bumble bee nassarius snails
:good:

2 Astrea/trochus/turban snails
Good, all except the Turban snails (AK, what are you like :p) it should read Turbo

2 Scarlet leg hermit crabs (could I get 3?)
Stick with two and I would get blue legs imo they work harder

1 Pincushion Urchin (could I get 2? or 1 more of a different kind?)
Leave the urchin for a while - then think of a tuxedo

Want to keep spot number 3 empty for now as I dont want to fill the gap before I fully understand fish.

Is there anything I can add?

Wise to keep the third spot free - you might fall in love with something - remember, patience is a virtue in the salty world

Wills

Seffie x

Thanks Seffie :) Im getting the patience thing. Its taught me a lot about my FW set up as well, was going to get some rare cichlids but decided I dont have the time to give them 100% attention so going for angels now :)

With the worms Ive tried to get photos but I just cant get the camera to focus, Im fairly certain they are brittle worms though. Thanks for the heads up on the orchid dottyback :good: just the kind of advice I need :) I think and say think I want the court jester goby

With the hermits, my LFS only has the reds in will they be okay? Also if you look at one of my pics bottom left I think I have some Aiptasia in my tank, do hermits eat them and if not how do I get rid of them?

Wills

lol I kid you not. Go look it up. Turban Snail (Tectus fenestratus). So nerrrrrrrrrr Seffie. :p

Bristle worms are a good part of your cuc crew unless they are massive :good: just make sure you dont touch them :crazy: however, that is unlikely, they retreat really quickly :lol:

Seffie x

I have two bristleworms that are easily over 15cm long. When its feeding time, they all come out of the rocks. I have well over 25 of them in my little nano tank. And you wonder why I suggest wearing rubber gloves when moving the rocks lol.

:eek: 15 cm!! my god they are pretty weird looking, what happens if you touch them? Im guessing its not good, is there anything that will eat them?

Do you think an Orchid Dottyback and a Court Jester Goby be good tank mates?

Wills

In the name of science and comedy, I recommend you record the event of you touching a bristleworm on camera ;)

Put it this way, each one of those hairs is like a bee sting :hey:. If memory serves, one species, commonly referred to as the fireworm, reeeeeeeeally packs a punch!

lol thanks for that! I think Ill try and get rid of them haha. I think I read the dottybacks get rid of them like I said 2 birds one stone :)

Wills

Also tested my water today and its 0 ammonia 0 nitrite, I need a new nitrate bottle but thinking of taking a water sample to MA to let them test it.

Quite want to get some proper life in there so thinking of getting the hermit crabs? Bearing in mind this is a set up that was live when I picked it up what do you think? Also thinking of getting a coral, giving a guy there a fish soon so will trust his advice lol as to which one but Im thinking it might be somekind of finger or mushroom for a bit of structure. What do you think or is it too early?

Wills

Back from LFS and had a chat with the people I know there, we tested my water and all was good nitrate at 10 and #40## forgot the other one.... you dont get it in FW as much sure you know which you mean was at .5 (I think)

So Ive come home with 2 Blue Hermits and a Red one thats snuck into the bag, quite like him hes feisty!! Will I be okay to keep him? Got a leather coral as well which seems to be pretty happy Ive put it low down on the rocks. Also got some snails, I got 2 cerith? (spelling) and 3 which Ive once again forgotten the name of...... Im usually much better at names than this lol.

Saw my Rainfordi Goby today as well :) And they had a hectors goby in as well which is basically a black and gold version of the rainfordi MY GOD!!! I want one!! Also the orchid dotty backs are really really expensive compared to the strawberry so going to chat to my GF about them and tell her the last spot in the tank is hers but it needs to be compatible and affordable. Ill put it this way the orchids cost the same as the hector and rainfordi put together....

Wills

Bump?

Also one more question, my leather coral has put its polyps (spelling) away and kind of looks like its contracted a bit. How much flow should it have on it? Should I put it right in the stream of the powerhead?

Most reactions

Back