Marina Style 60 Aquarium

mak said:
Thanks,  I have seen the same heaters in pics and on YouTube and some of them have been right under water, so obviously safe .  So how far have u got with your aquarium? 

heaters like that will say "fully submersible"

i always use fully submersible heaters, i find they are more accurate and consistent, eheim jager are my favorite

Thanks everyone,  does everyone have a stick on thermometer?  My temperature is between 23-24c. I might have to turn it up a notch. My heater is just over the min mark because if I put it on the min mark my hood won't fit properly. 

stick on thermometers are the least accurate, at least by a mercury thermometer, i use digital thermometers personally

As Mikey said, the stick-on thermometers are unreliable because they can be affected by the room temp and other factors. I just use the floating ones with the suction cup. 

I have just bought a mercury thermometer.  When I eventually do a water change , how do I heat the new water I will put in? I will obviously need another thermometer to check the temp of new water. 

add water that is the same temp as the tank water, or close anyway,

i dont normally use a thermometer, when adding water to the tank, i just go by feel

I'm paranoid enough to use a digital thermometer for the water coming out of the tap. Since I have to fill bucket after bucket, I have two buckets, so it's great when I get the temp right then I fill one bucket, then switch the tap to the other bucket and let it fill while I'm pouring the first bucket into the tank.

This Old Spouse said:
I'm paranoid enough to use a digital thermometer for the water coming out of the tap. Since I have to fill bucket after bucket, I have two buckets, so it's great when I get the temp right then I fill one bucket, then switch the tap to the other bucket and let it fill while I'm pouring the first bucket into the tank.

i fill my tanks with my python/hose, i couldnt imagine carrying buckets,

i just watch the thermometer in the tank as its filling, if the temp starts going up then i increase the cold water, if the temp starts going down i increase the hot water

Someday I might get the python system. It does get tedious with 3 tanks lugging buckets back and forth!

This Old Spouse said:
Someday I might get the python system. It does get tedious with 3 tanks lugging buckets back and forth!

it is well worth the money, when you consider how much use you get out of it,

i have had mine for almost 20 years!

I made my own DIY python system. Much cheaper than buying one, but it works just as well! There's a link in my description if you're interested.

I used to have a Marina Style 60, and yes, it is safe to have the heater completely underwater. I had my heater quite far down, so that I could do a water change without the heater coming out of the water. Was a great little tank and I couldn't fault it. Ended up selling it and upgrading for a bigger tank.

Mercury thermometers are great, seem to be really accurate.

I am doing the fish in cycle. Had fish now for almost 4 weeks. Water changes every 12-24hrs as ammonia rises. My ammonia never gets higher than 0.25 no sign of nitrite or nitrate. My pH is 7.6. My current fish are in my SIG. I have a marina 90 tank. It came with a slim marina s20 filter which I found out was not suitable for that size of tank. Recently bought a fluval u2 filter which is far superior and can cope up to 110l tank. Also supplied with the tank was a marina 150w heater which seems to be good. I have taken the water level higher than the minimum line but not over the black top. This heater seems to be strong enough but found out I just need a 100w heater. I used nutrafin cycle at the beginning but never saw any results. I also use tetra safe to de-chlorinate my water. My tank temp with my thermometer in the tank is a steady 27oC.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back