Marina Style 60 Aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mak

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have just got a Marina Style 60, who else has got one? And how deep can you put heater? Does the top need to be out of the water? sorry about all the questions. 

give us the make and model number of the heater and we can check,

normally heaters will say on them if they are submersible or not

There is a min mark on heater and says the heater must be immersed in water at least up to the min mark. I have gone over the min mark but that is ok, right?

i too have this tank and i'm new to the hobby/obsession.

Help with anything i can, my heater is immersed right up to just below the 'twiddle' switch on top.

all heaters have a "minimum line" this doesn't mean the entire heater and power cord can be submersed

Thanks,  I have seen the same heaters in pics and on YouTube and some of them have been right under water, so obviously safe .  So how far have u got with your aquarium? 

I got tank on Wednesday and got everything in. Just waiting to put fish in. I have/am cycling filter.  Did u get your aquarium today? 

I used bottled bacteria over a four/five day period and then what i suppose everyone refers to as a fish in cycle.
I know many disapprove of this method on here. Through keeping an eye on Water Test Levels and water changes i would say i was relatively succesful, or as others may feel - lucky. The fact i'm also keeping small fish may have helped the process.

what is bottled bacteria? how long did your water stay cloudy for? sorry about all the questions, I have researched but want to get it right.

I used a product called "nutrafin cycle" it markets itself as a biological aquarium supplement. There are many on this forum who doubt they provide anything beneficial or actually work. As i mentioned before only been involved in the hobby for a very limited time, so my knowledge is only limited. Will offer my own advice based on personal experience if you wish.

What i would advise as your first step is either buying a water testing kit, or if it's close and convenient, some Local Fish Shops may do them for you. Be a good idea to find out your tap water levels initially, heard advice to let the water sit for 12 hrs before testing.
Some stuff in your tank may affect water readings - type of substrate used (sand/gravel/etc) pieces of wood, type of stone.

OR... Another Option

would be a "Fish-Less" cycle, many on this forum would be able to offer advice on this. There are many pages of good advice on this forum.

Thanks, a real help. Have all your fish survived so far? what temp is your aquarium?

My tank temp currently is always 26/27c. No Casualties thankfully. As i say Tank is just over two months old, once i get passed three months will feel happy.

However during the first few days of the tank - when the "nutrafin cycle" was being added (with No Fish in tank) - i kept tank temp at around 28/29c as thought it may help bacteria grow slightly better.

I have this tank and have had it since the New Year. I was lucky to be able to move a mature filter into the tank along with the fish from the old tank which is now cycling with new equipment ready for a betta once it's cycled.
I'm doing the fishless route which means having lots of patience as it can take weeks (4 weeks at present for me) but it is kinder to fish as there aren't any to hurt or slow things down and is quicker as you don't have all the frequent water changes that would be necessary with fish-in cycling to avoid toxic effects of ammonia and nitrIte.
If you haven't already done so, take a look at the Beginners Resource Centre at the articles on cycling - it will give you a better idea what to expect with both methods.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Let us know how it goes for you

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back