Male Molly Attacking Female (Not Mating)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mariadaly157

Reaction score
Hi, my white sail finned molly is bullying my orange female. He mates with the white female I have no problem, (who is soon to pop) I have two males and 3 females. The white female is most popular in second is the spotted female and then the poor gold female is chased and nipped constantly. Don't think I can stop it. Should I add another famale or two? Would that help? My tank is 100cm long, 50cm high and 40cm wide! It's a mixed tank and all get along bar the two mentioned!

Mollies are funny like that, I had a bully female that would constantly nip at the other females. Adding a male calmed her down a bit, as she was occupied more.

In your instance, I would say, add at least 1 and, if you have the room, more, additional females - hopefully the orange will be less victimised.

I had this, I ended up re homing my male sailfin as I was so sick of him hassling one particular female for sex and being aggressive with the other two females. Weird. Well he left his mark and his favourite female gave birth this week. I now (fry aside) have just females and I'm glad of it. I'm obsessed with having a super peaceful tank.

If you want to keep breeding I'd say up your female numbers as much as you can to calm the male down a bit and spread out who he hassles like Lock Man says.
Ps turned out that once my male had gone, the most dominant fish in his absence became the female he bullied the most, so could well be a 'top fish' competition and that the gold female is quite dominant and the bullying is more 'pecking order' competition.

Most reactions

trending

Back