Male guppy spinning in circles

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Joy9

Reaction score
Hi all. Iā€™m looking for some advice on what could be wrong with my guppy. Iā€™ve noticed his tail seemed to have dropped and also changes colour but didnā€™t think much of it. I think he gets chased a fair bit by the other fish and I thought this was the reason for his tail changing colour due to stress. However this morning heā€™s been hanging out at the top and bottom of the tank not moving much and breathing faster than normal. Just now I came in to check on him and he was at the bottom spinning frantically in circles. Now heā€™s at the top near the back not moving as if heā€™s sleeping, still heavy breathing. The rest of the guppies are behaving normally. Is anyone able to shed light on whatā€™s going on? Thank you in advance.

Hi all. Iā€™m looking for some advice on what could be wrong with my guppy. Iā€™ve noticed his tail seemed to have dropped and also changes colour but didnā€™t think much of it. I think he gets chased a fair bit by the other fish and I thought this was the reason for his tail changing colour due to stress. However this morning heā€™s been hanging out at the top and bottom of the tank not moving much and breathing faster than normal. Just now I came in to check on him and he was at the bottom spinning frantically in circles. Now heā€™s at the top near the back not moving as if heā€™s sleeping, still heavy breathing. The rest of the guppies are behaving normally. Is anyone able to shed light on whatā€™s going on? Thank you in advance.
I think it might have gone too far to return. I would euthanize. Please wait for more opinions as I would not want to make the call prematurely.

How long have you had the fish for?
How long has the tank been set up for?
Have you introduced anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?

Post clear pictures and video of the fish so we can check them for diseases. You can upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

-------------------
BASIC FIRST AID FOR FISH
Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until the problem is identified. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back