Male/female ratio of corydoras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishBearer9845

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello all
Is there an ideal ratio of male - female corydoras? I've seen a lot about other fish, but not corys

Also, do different variants breed together to essentially create a mutt cory?

Thank you

Hello all
Is there an ideal ratio of male - female corydoras? I've seen a lot about other fish, but not corys

Also, do different variants breed together to essentially create a mutt cory?

Thank you
Breeding corydoras is pretty hard, so no, don't worry about it. @NCaquatics can comment on crossbreeding.

As long as there is school it will be fine. The most important thing with breeding any catfish or tetra for that matter is position of the tank. Make sure your tank gets the early morning sun onto it, first light, that is the trigger that makes these fish spawn. Also they need a pressure rise, so after a storm going into a dry period is ideal. That is the starting points, I can go into more detail later if you like.

Thank you all. If I did add females in, would the males stress them out and chase like livebearers can?

With cories, with breeding its more ideal to have 1 female to 2 males, but they will breed just fine with 1:1 too. They don't stress each other out like livebearers would.

For cory breeding...

I'll address the hybrid question. Yes some can interbreed, and it is generally frowned upon in the hobby.

Best way to prevent this is to have large enough groups of both species with different genders for both so they have their own mates to choose. They will choose their own over others if they have the option.

Certain lineages of cories are more compatible for interbreeding, if you check planet catfish you will notice a code with their name, this stands for which lineage of corydoras that species is. Any in the same lineages are able to crossbreed.

Now things that trigger corydoras breeding.

1) being well fed. Many people intentionally breeding cories will condition the breeding group with live foods twice a day.

2) cooler water changes. Frequent, large water changes using colder water often triggers them as this mimics a rainy season.

3) faster current. Again, mimics the rainy season which they breed in.

4) in some cases, softer more acidic water can also be a factor.

5) storms and weather fronts in the area will sometimes trigger spawning in cories. Those intentionally trying to spawn them will often time their water changes with weather systems.

6) winter often triggers some to spawn because naturally in the wild, this is their breeding season.

Many will eat their own eggs or other fish in the tank will. So if cory fry isn't something you want, don't remove the eggs.

If you want fry, collect the eggs by gently rolling them off the glass with your fingers and place them in a container with shallow water taken from the parent tank, use an air stone. Add a few drops of meth blue or a couple alder cones to prevent fungus. After 3-5 days the fry hatch. For first 3 days they feed off their yolk sac, but once that's absorbed they need to be fed several times a day on a fry starter food, infusoria, live baby brine shrimp, live microworms, or live vinegar eels until they grow large enough to eat crushed pellets/flakes. Water must be changed daily on fry tanks to encourage full growth.

I caught mine in the act a month ago, at the 1 minute mark you see her sticking eggs to the glass

The males only do intense chasing and pestering when the female is carrying eggs, its not a daily thing

With cories, with breeding its more ideal to have 1 female to 2 males, but they will breed just fine with 1:1 too. They don't stress each other out like livebearers would.

For cory breeding...

I'll address the hybrid question. Yes some can interbreed, and it is generally frowned upon in the hobby.

Best way to prevent this is to have large enough groups of both species with different genders for both so they have their own mates to choose. They will choose their own over others if they have the option.

Certain lineages of cories are more compatible for interbreeding, if you check planet catfish you will notice a code with their name, this stands for which lineage of corydoras that species is. Any in the same lineages are able to crossbreed.

Now things that trigger corydoras breeding.

1) being well fed. Many people intentionally breeding cories will condition the breeding group with live foods twice a day.

2) cooler water changes. Frequent, large water changes using colder water often triggers them as this mimics a rainy season.

3) faster current. Again, mimics the rainy season which they breed in.

4) in some cases, softer more acidic water can also be a factor.

5) storms and weather fronts in the area will sometimes trigger spawning in cories. Those intentionally trying to spawn them will often time their water changes with weather systems.

6) winter often triggers some to spawn because naturally in the wild, this is their breeding season.

Many will eat their own eggs or other fish in the tank will. So if cory fry isn't something you want, don't remove the eggs.

If you want fry, collect the eggs by gently rolling them off the glass with your fingers and place them in a container with shallow water taken from the parent tank, use an air stone. Add a few drops of meth blue or a couple alder cones to prevent fungus. After 3-5 days the fry hatch. For first 3 days they feed off their yolk sac, but once that's absorbed they need to be fed several times a day on a fry starter food, infusoria, live baby brine shrimp, live microworms, or live vinegar eels until they grow large enough to eat crushed pellets/flakes. Water must be changed daily on fry tanks to encourage full growth.
Have you ever cross bred any. I had peppered and bronze together (aeneus and paleatus). I had read some where that they were meant to cross. But when they spawned they kept to themselves.

Have you ever cross bred any. I had peppered and bronze together (aeneus and paleatus). I had read some where that they were meant to cross. But when they spawned they kept to themselves.
None of mine have ever crossed. I keep mine mixed, but they have their own choice of mates, so same experience they stick to their own for breeding

Most reactions

trending

Back