Malaysian Driftwood

It will lower your PH, soften your water, and turn the water a yellowish color unless it is extensively soaked before being put into your tank. The wood is fantastic looking but you need to give it a very good soak/boil before putting it in your tank, unless you want the low PH and colored water.
 
I did soak it first. I am a bit concerned on the ph though as I do not want to stress my fish. How much will it lower it and is it temporary or continuous ?
 
As long as you soak it correctly, it shouldn't do anything to the pH.

Ryan
 
Your mileage may vary compared to mine but I had to soak some of mine for about two weeks with daily water changes in the bucket before it was done releasing tannins. I did some of the smaller pieces much quicker by boiling them constantly for a couple of hours and changing the water when it turned a good yellow color.

I think the wood I got was a good bit on the fresh side of things though because I have heard of people having to soak/boil their wood a lot less than I did.
 
The wood was very dry. It released tannins the first day then was pretty clear. Testing my ph it may of went down from 7.0 to 6.8...hard to tell the exact colors. I will keep an eye on it. I am assuming water changes will help ?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top