Making Soda With Diy Co2 System

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Captain Retardo

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I was just wondering: Could I be able to make Soda and other carbonated beverages by simply making a DIY Co2 unit, and running the airline into the (covered) cup? If so, How long would it take to make it carbonated as much as other soda?

Sorry that this dosen't have much to do with aquariums, but I didn't know who else to ask except the people here on this forum!

Ooooh. I don't think I'd want to drink any of it. I have a DIY CO2 running right now on my tank that I just refilled to day. The smell and look of it reminds me of stale, skunk beer.:beer:

That may be because one product of yeast and sugar is alcohol (along with the Co2). But I don't plan on putting any of that water inside the 2 liter bottle into my soda! of course!

Thereoretically you could get some CO2 off making such a drink, like ginger beer, as a side benefit, but I would imagine it's not going to be a great deal at enough pressure etc. to make much difference to the tank.

No,no,no, I mean I want to make a carbonated beverage with the Co2, and drink it! I know it sounds a little farfetched, but I want to try it

Hey everybody, I was just wondering: Could I be able to make Soda and other carbonated beverages by simply making a DIY Co2 unit, and running the airline into the (covered) cup? If so, How long would it take to make it carbonated as much as other soda?

itll probably take a day if the system is completely sealed. if its not sealed, then it will never reach it and you will need to use pressurized co2

the reason that sodas are "fizzy" is that they are supersaturated with carbon dioxide--which means that there is more CO2 dissolved into the soda than it really has the energy to hold at 1 atm of pressure. thus the CO2 comes out of solution when you release the pressure on it by opening the bottle/can.

in other words, Dorkhedos is right when he says that you would need a pressurizing system in order to make your drink fizzy.

--EDIT--
also, just sealing the cup of soda wouldn't be sufficient because the pressure inside the cup would never exceed the pressure on the other end of the CO2 line.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back