M. Lacustris (blue Rainbowfish)

drobbyb

Bowhead
Joined
Sep 22, 2008
Messages
3,251
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Easley, South Carolina USA
Just wanted to share a coup pics with you all. My M. Lacustris are just starting to show their blue adult coloration, and I think they are gorgeous. Without further ado!!!

62748fbc293ac9f4.jpg


62748fbc29729c1f.jpg



Comments?
 
How pretty are they!!! Rainbows are such a diverse fish....
 
*drool* Do you have a locality and generation number on them? STUNNING. I want them!!! lol

I suspect that the fish I've seen sold as Melanotaenia sp. 'Kangaroo Creek' is Lacustris. I hope so, because I would REALLY like to get my hands on some of those. I can get M. splendida ?inornata out of the creek and those are nice but mostly red and orange, so a contraster would be nice.

How big are they at the moment?
 
I got them from one of the most respected breeders in the US and Canada. All Lacustris come from Lake Kubutu and it's outlet. I am unsure what generation these are but I don't think they are too far from F0's with this coloration. These guys are about 2.5 inches and I can't wait for them to mature.

Funny you should mention M. Duboulayi as I breed those as well! All of the Dubs in north america were brought back by Roy Hunter in the 90's. They came from the Tin Can Bay area in N. Queensland. I suspect either Kangaroo creek or Mary river (leaning more towards Mary River) due to their coloration as well.
 
Ah, that was dumb of me, Lacustris is NG isn't it? I was thinking of one of the australian species from Kangaroo Creek - so you reckon it's duboulayi? I can't get an accurate ID with blurred photos of juveniles, but people who've bought them say that the adults when settled into their tanks are magnificent. I'm pretty sure Melanotaenia 'Wallaby Ck' is trifasciata, and the Murray River Rainbowfish is almost certainly fluviatilis, I don't have an accurate locality on those. Murray River is part of the Murray Darling system, the biggest river system in Australia, so without an accurate collection location the name of the river doesn't mean much.

The problem is that they are all grown on too fast and fed rubbish when they are young, so they never come into their proper colouration. I collect my own whenever I can, but my parents have this funny thing about not liking to stop next to creeks while trying to get somewhere so I can climb down the bank, get filthy, and reappear with yet more fish bags. Wonder why that might be.

It always surprises me that there are relatively few rainbowfish breeders in Australia, they are stunning fish but there are only a handful of people who are really dedicated to maintaining the best coloured Australian lines with separate tanks for each species/locality. They hybridise readily, and there are actually natural hybrids near where I live. I think they're one of the main reasons why there are still arguments about taxonomy.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top