Low Tech Setup

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

justin85

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am thinking about setup up another tank and need some advice. It's a 30L cube tank and it will have a hang on filter.
I wont be using CO2 although I might use easyCarbo, I'm looking at a 11w light for it but I have not decided on that yet. My question is: I want a low carpet plant for the forground, is there any plants that will carpet without CO2 injection ?
Do you think 11w is enough ? Tank size: 30 x 30 x 35 cm

Any help and advice is welcome.

Some of the dwarf sagittaria can carpet, as can eleocharis. They'll both survive without CO2. Otherwise pogostemon heleferi.

After that, moss would work as well.

11W isn't too bad for 30l assuming you're talking about the power compacts we usually see on these tanks.

I've got a 30l cube with an 11w light and am growing pogostemon and eleocharis with no trouble without CO2 in that tank.

Thanks for the reply rob, have you got any pictures of your tank on this forum ? Would love to see it. I have decided to save money by just using a light unit iv already got instead of buying the one I was referring to. It's a T5 18W light. Ordered my hang on filter today so will have it this week then I'm ready to start.

Sorry, no, no pictures of it up on here. I've always viewed it as a holding tank for plants and refugee fish so have never really thought too much about the scape, hence no photos.

both. We're a nosy bunch on this forum and wanna see pictures all day long!

This was the first scape I was going to go with, I like the scape but the tank size mainly the high wasn’t high enough for a hang on filter, so I decided to start over.

scape2.jpg

This is the tank i decided to go with and felt these rocks work better.

scape1-1.jpg

Let me know what you think.

I liked the wood from the first picture and the rocks from the second. Good start though :good:

I'm still playing around with the scape, not rush to get this one going so maybe i could try the wood from the 1st with the rocks from the 2nd.

I liked them both but the first one a bit more ;) It kinda reminded me of the classic wild west canyons and mountains. I think in the second tank maybe 1 or 2 of the rocks should be coming out the substrate at an angle rather than lying flat. This is just my opinion, do what you think looks right it's your piece of art :good:

Oh yeah, Ross has a point. Heres a link on Iwagumi layouts. It may help you place your rocks. I am insanely jealous. I haven't found rocks like yours in the US. :angry:

I liked them both but the first one a bit more ;) It kinda reminded me of the classic wild west canyons and mountains. I think in the second tank maybe 1 or 2 of the rocks should be coming out the substrate at an angle rather than lying flat. This is just my opinion, do what you think looks right it's your piece of art :good:

It's funny you should say that, I was acctually trying to make it look like that, like a wild west canyon lol and I agree about the rock placement on the second one, I will try a few more tomorrow.

Oh yeah, Ross has a point. Heres a link on Iwagumi layouts. It may help you place your rocks. I am insanely jealous. I haven't found rocks like yours in the US. :angry:

Iv read that article before, That website is acctually where I get most my rocks. When it comes to rock placement I find it hard to stick to the rules but I do try and keep them in mind.

No reason to follow rules. I just find inspiration from them :) I did like your first picture too. I love plants though and couldn't see how to plant that one in the back is all.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back