Low Tech Planted Tank...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

mislisa

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the planning stage of setting up a 27g long planted amazon biotope featuring a pair or trio of Apistos (and which may or may not have a few non-native plants such as java fern) and am wondering if I should consider using a dirt substrate with a sand cap. I've heard that organic Miracle Grow is good at getting your plants to grow without added CO2 and  I'd love to have a heavily planted tank, but i'm not sure if that will work without a CO2 system. 

The tank is 36" L x 12" w x 16" D and I will be using a glass top and the best lighting I can afford... not sure what that is yet. (suggestions welcome)   :)

I do have plants in my other tanks, but they are all easy plants to grow such as Anubias, Java fern & Jungle vallisneria.  If you could help me out here, that'd be really great!

I don't know much about dirt, but I've been doing a lot of research about lighting.  I think without CO2, you'd have to stay at low-light or you may end up with algae problems.  Have a look into LEDs.  They are a bit pricier upfront, but should save money in the long run (longer bulb life).

mislisa said:
Hi, I'm in the planning stage of setting up a 27g long planted amazon biotope featuring a pair or trio of Apistos (and which may or may not have a few non-native plants such as java fern) and am wondering if I should consider using a dirt substrate with a sand cap. I've heard that organic Miracle Grow is good at getting your plants to grow without added CO2 and  I'd love to have a heavily planted tank, but i'm not sure if that will work without a CO2 system. 

The tank is 36" L x 12" w x 16" D and I will be using a glass top and the best lighting I can afford... not sure what that is yet. (suggestions welcome)  
smile.png

I do have plants in my other tanks, but they are all easy plants to grow such as Anubias, Java fern & Jungle vallisneria.  If you could help me out here, that'd be really great!

Dirted tanks are good and dont need co2, in fact you dont really need co2 for a heeavily planted tank.

AS for plants echinodorus sp, staurogyne sp, some hygrophila sp, limnophila, cabomba var. red and many more

A low-tech heavily planted tank is absolutely achievable. A dirt substrate is a great idea and the plants will all benefit.  Make sure when choosing your light, that you're sticking to a low-med light, otherwhise you're going to create a big headache for yourself.

Some plants that do well in a low-tech tank are: java fern, mosses, anubias, crypts, swords can do well too, vallis. However, I'm not sure of the origin of most of these for your biotype.

Take a look at this: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/450l-low-tech-aquarium.19819/
This tank is as low-tech as it gets, no co-2, no ferts. :)

greenmumma141 said:
A low-tech heavily planted tank is absolutely achievable. A dirt substrate is a great idea and the plants will all benefit.  Make sure when choosing your light, that you're sticking to a low-med light, otherwhise you're going to create a big headache for yourself.

Some plants that do well in a low-tech tank are: java fern, mosses, anubias, crypts, swords can do well too, vallis. However, I'm not sure of the origin of most of these for your biotype.

Take a look at this: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/450l-low-tech-aquarium.19819/
This tank is as low-tech as it gets, no co-2, no ferts.
smile.png

She wants and amazon biotope.

Medium light is best. As dirt can naturally produce co2 in small amounts

Wow.... that is such a gorgeous tank!!! They did use CO2 for the first 6 months, but it gives me hope that mine could be almost as nice! :)

I've read that when using dirt, you should add clay to help hold nutrients... What kind of clay am I looking for, and how much? I have a bit of pottery clay left over from when I was taking classes.... would this work? I'm not sure on where it's from....

As far as lighting goes, I'm not sure what kind I'll need. Here is a link to one i'm considering: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4391507&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInCA%2FNo

Is this too bright for what I want? Also, can anyone recommend a good place to buy the previously mentioned plants online? I'm in Canada, where most of the american suppliers won't ship. I only have one LFS and they don't label their plants well. 

Thanks for all the help... I love putting new tanks together and learning more about the hobby! :)

Take a look at aquabid.com, I know there's canadian sellers.

Yep, he did start the tank out with pressurized and such, but he's still maintained it for so long without anything...

I would be careful with the marineland light unit, i've heard pretty bad things about their products.  I'm looking into a new LED light unit for my tank too.  Try having a look on ebay. Again, you don't want anything that will be too much light.

Not sure about the clay, I've never done a soil tank before, but now I kinda want to lol :)

mislisa said:
Wow.... that is such a gorgeous tank!!! They did use CO2 for the first 6 months, but it gives me hope that mine could be almost as nice!
smile.png

I've read that when using dirt, you should add clay to help hold nutrients... What kind of clay am I looking for, and how much? I have a bit of pottery clay left over from when I was taking classes.... would this work? I'm not sure on where it's from....

As far as lighting goes, I'm not sure what kind I'll need. Here is a link to one i'm considering: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4391507&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInCA%2FNo

Is this too bright for what I want? Also, can anyone recommend a good place to buy the previously mentioned plants online? I'm in Canada, where most of the american suppliers won't ship. I only have one LFS and they don't label their plants well. 

Thanks for all the help... I love putting new tanks together and learning more about the hobby!
smile.png

Red clay is the way to go

Here is a link to my topic:

Red Clay method

Most reactions

Back