Lost My First Fish After Just 6 Days

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

piper

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Oh dear, had my first lose this morning and wonder if any one could advise me on what went wrong, ill explain a little about my situation:

The tank had fishless cycled for two weeks
5 Rummy nose and 5 Cardinal Tetras were added 6 days ago
Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates are all at zero as of yesterday.

But yesterday one of the Rummy’s had broken away from the others and was on his own, a white patch had appeared on his back by the dorsal fin. This was not like ich it was more like his coloring had changed; he was shaking a lot and barley swimming.

Found him dead this morning, would have taken a picture of the patch but it had gone.

Any ideas why I lost him? :-(

2 weeks?

Did you add any mature filter media?

If not I really doubt it cycled properly in that time.

Waited two weeks then added ten fish, thats what went wrong! I'm suprised you've only lost one. Do you have someone that can look after the majority of you're fish for a few weeks while the filter matures?

No old filter matter was added and No I’m afraid there is not anyone who can take the fish for me.
The tank performed the whole ammonia cycle in those two weeks and my water stats were and are still fine.
I didn’t think I was adding that many fish; if you can cycle a tank with five fish what’s wrong with adding ten after 2 weeks of cycling?

Well, I added some to one of my tanks recently which has been running for about 6 months now and ammonia and nitrites are 0, and nitrates are below 10 and still I lost a couple in the same way.

These fish are notoriously sensitive. The only thing I can think of in my case that caused the deaths in difference in water perameters between LFS and my tank.

I think they use RO water and mine is tap water, treated and filtered through peat.

In my case, it is most certainly not a case of the tank not having matured, adn there is nothing wrong with my water quality... any other suggestions?

Two weeks is a short period for a full cycle and without any water stats I'd take a guess at water quality being your problem. Adding ten fish is a fair amount of amonia and your two week old filter isn't mature enough to handle it.

Filter media that has sufficient bacteria grown in it to break down the amonia created by the fish.

Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates are all at zero as of yesterday.

And will keep on testing daily for any fluctuations.

It was more the white patch on his back that I though would mean some specfic reason for his death.

I seem to remember Someone on this forum saying Rummy Nose tetras need a mature tank ie running for six months or more

I seem to remember Someone on this forum saying Rummy Nose tetras need a mature tank ie running for six months or more

Ok, so how come I lost somein the same manner? My tank is most definitely mature enough and the water quality is good as stated above, but I lost some shortly after adding them too.

I think everybody is far too quick to jump on the cycling bandwagon as the cause of all ills.

Unless these fish require nitrates of absolute zero, in my case at least, there has to be some other cause.

Unforunately, I did not ask the guys at the fish store what there water perameters are, so I am not sure if it was the change in perameters that killed them.

I might also add that these fish have colured up really well, so I assume the water conditions are good.

Very bright red noses all round :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back