Lost my candy stripe

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

rvm

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I haven't seen my candy stripe pleco for a few days, and I thought I'd have a look for him while I cleaned the tank today. Couldn't find him anywhere. I moved every rock and bit of wood in the tank, and he was nowhere to be seen. I can only presume he died and got eaten by the other fish. :(
Bless him

:rip:
peckoltia1.jpg

That looks like an L052 or L168 aka Butterfly Pleco that I'm trying to get. Candystripe is another name for them apparently.

Anyhow if you don't see any bones or anything, don't give up hope, it may still be alive.

Unlikely unless he's buried in the gravel!!!
He was an L015 Peckoltia vittata!!

Yeah, I went and looked at Planetcatfish... that's at least 4 species that look identical I've run across so far. Did you take the wood and rock out of the tank or just move it in the water? It may have been hiding somewhere you wouldn't see it if there are holes or crevices.

Also, you should notice an ammonia rise if it was dead I would think. Even if they ate it. I don't know what fish are with it but I find it hard to believe they'd eat everything, skeleton included. Most Plecs have hard plates too so I'd assume something would be left.

I'll have another look around tomorrow, but he's in with a full grown severum, so it's possible he got eaten!! Having said that my bristlenose is getting along fine with the sev. Maybe he just didn't like his colours. Oh well hopefully he's there somewhere, I know he hides a lot!!

What kind of filter do you have? It's possible it crawled into that and would explain it's dissappearence.

When my common plec was a youngster he had a habit of somehow getting into the filter to eat the gunk in there. Scared me the first time he pulled that off. I was looking everywhere, on the floor, under the couch, then he pops on out of the filter all happy.

I lost one of my golden nuggets when he buried himself and got stuck. Took me 3 days to find his body :(

I hope your candy stripe turns up :/

Most reactions

Back