Lost In Translation

• Thread starter Deleted member 149562
  • Start date
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.
Discussing guns starts flame wars, but without them around I can use my Greek hand gestures, learned from neighbours. I have to limit myself to swearing in Italian (I don't speak Italian except for driving) in danger zones.
@Rocky998 - you're a good person. Travel. Make it a future priority to see the world.
Thanks... Yah I try not to talk about it much but sometimes I make a small comment.
I would love to go to Brazil, Canada, Germany, Switzerland, and other places someday... Maybe Italy even... But it's expensive lol

Discussing guns starts flame wars, but without them around I can use my Greek hand gestures, learned from neighbours.
I agree.

Thanks... Yah I try not to talk about it much but sometimes I make a small comment.

With all due respect, posting something clearly controversial when it is reasonably certain, due to forum rules, that your opinion cannot be discussed or debated is unfair.

I am curious about where people are coming from. I don't have to agree with people or live in an echo chamber, and people here are very respectful to each other. We live in such different countries, at different ages and different experiences. Whatever we think, we aren't going to change the world on a fish forum. But with luck, we might come to understand it better.
I agree with you. I think the danger is that some people get too riled up when discussing sensitive topics and aren’t able to keep it civil. So I think the mods placing restrictions is way of protecting those who aren’t looking to get involved with heated discussions/arguments. They figure many people on this forum aren’t looking for that kind of interaction.

I agree.

With all due respect, posting something clearly controversial when it is reasonably certain, due to forum rules, that your opinion cannot be discussed or debated is unfair.
It was just something that kinda slipped man... Not like I was saying it and then saying no one can reply to it.. Idc, reply to it, just be civil and don't get argumentative about the subject

It was just something that kinda slipped man... Not like I was saying it and then saying no one can reply to it.. Idc, reply to it, just be civil and don't get argumentative about the subject
No worries, I didn't think you did it maliciously. Just something to think about in the future.
I lost all my firearms in a boating accident while hunting Cichlids in Africa, so I have no dog in the fight :cool:

No worries, I didn't think you did it maliciously. Just something to think about in the future.
I lost all my firearms in a boating accident while hunting Cichlids in Africa, so I have no dog in the fight :cool:
Yah no, I wasn't trying to start anything... Thanks.

Oof sorry man... I don't understand how it makes you say that you have "no dog in the fight" but idk...

My two cents: I think people in general are way too sensitive at this point in history and it’s largely due to the fact that American culture encourages standing up for your rights and fighting against injustice — it’s just been taken to an unhealthy extreme where no one can say anything without tiptoeing around.

On the other hand the whole point of language is to effectively communicate, so using certain words that have developed a negative connotation when that’s not your intention makes no sense. Whether you like what has been done to the word or not you’re shooting yourself in the foot to use it just to take some sort of stand. Is it worth hurting someone’s feelings just to make your point? (Remember they aren’t the ones who gave it that negative connotation. That could be the only way they were ever exposed to it).

Losing you firearms in a boating accident is the response to the law when they come to confiscate them. Since I unfortunately lost mine, laws and regulations don't matter to me (or as the saying goes, No dog in this fight)

Losing you firearms in a boating accident is the response to the law when they come to confiscate them. Since I unfortunately lost mine, laws and regulations don't matter to me (or as the saying goes, No dog in this fight)
But it is still very very important to stand up for liberty even though "you have no dog in the fight". Even though im not old enough to own a firearm, I still do all that is needed to stand up for our rights if need be.

But it is still very very important to stand up for liberty even though "you have no dog in the fight". Even though im not old enough to own a firearm, I still do all that is needed to stand up for our rights if need be.
Yah, that makes sense. But you also haven't had a family member shot or shot at or threatend... I have. So I am very sensitive on the matter. And remember, governments don't want to take our weapons away, it's just to make it harder for people to get them which would decrease violence. I think the age limit should be increased to about 25 and background checks to be a must. I also don't see how people really need ARs or snipers... Hunting rifles 👍, handguns 👍, shotguns maybe... That one is iffy for me. But there definitely needs to be a change. And what happened in Texas, shouldn't ever happen again but it will sadly. Because people can't see past "getting their weapons taken away". When they actually won't be taken away, especially if you already have them and you are responsible.

Oh boy... I just read this over... Sorry in advance lol... I'm not a political person, I stay neutral. I only say what is in my opinion common sense. The situation has been made political just like harmless words have been... Sad

Call me sensitive, but using firearms to hunt Cichlids seems counterproductive! Like, if you wing one, do you call it "pectoraling" one?

Call me sensitive, but using firearms to hunt Cichlids seems counterproductive! Like, if you wing one, do you call it "pectoraling" one?
I was going to ask... Why are you using guns on fish? 🤣

I live in Texas. I stay home. I don't go to the mall. I go to the grocery store when it is the least crowded. I go to work, I work alone or nearly alone. I rarely go to public places and I shop in a hit and run fashion, no browsing for me, I want to go home. It's safer at home. With my big dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back