Lost Half My Stock...

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
So after coming home from work today I discovered half of my cories to be dead as well as an Oto. The tank has been at a constant 95F for this week and looks to stay that way until Monday. I have no fans and no blankets to deflect heat and I dont have money to cool it down. I cant do anything but toss ice in every once in awhile but due to work I am gone half the day. I dont plan to re stock until after the heatwave is over and I plan to better prepare for next time too. As of right now I have lost 5 of my 6 Cory and the last one is on its final leg, the 2 upside down catfish that went missing months ago are no floating around and only 1 of my Bloodfins seems to be loosing color. Besides that my BN, ADF, Oto and Molly seem to be fine for the time being.

My guess is that after this ordeal I will have the below stocking.

10 Gallon:
5 oto
1 Molly

30 Gallon:
3 Molly
5 Bloodfin
1 BN
1 ADF

This leaves me with lots of extra room so what should I do? I am thinking loach this time but cant decide between yoyo, Burmise Border, Coolie or Zebra. I also have access to Kribs now which I have been interested in for awhile now. Anyone have any other suggestions?
 
I know you may have already had this thought but just incase you haven't.

Have you thought of restocking with fish that appreciate + can handle higher temps. Just incase you ever do have a heatwave again. And for example are on holiday, or for some reason can't cool the tank down.
If you like the idea then I can come up with a few suggestions?
 
Those would be great for suggestion. I am open to anything pretty much and am just looking for ideas. I kinda want to step up from basic tropical but dont have a whole lot of room since I only have a 10 and 30 and must work with renaming stock.
 
Most loaches, gourami, rams, kribs and some barbs and tetras can take high temperature. So the stocking you were looking at already is probably a good direction.
 
Looks like you've got help with restocking ideas but for future heatwaves, try freezing a 2 litre bottle of tapwater, then stand it in the tank. If you have 2 bottles on the go, 1 in the freezer and one in the tank you can alternate. Keep an eye that the temperature doesn't drop too much though.
 
How would this do perhaps:

2 Molly (move 1 into the 10 gallon)
6 Blood Fin Tetras
6 Rio Flame Tetras
2 Kribs
5 Loach of choosing (leaning twords Burmese Border but have heard bad things about them).

Still room left or am I looking socked at that point. Oh and at this point instead of Rio Flame tetras would Tiger/Green Barbs work if kept in a big enough group?
 
What did you hear about botia kubotai? There's nothing in the tank the barbs would destroy anyway. And I'd say you'd be pretty much stocked yes.
 
How would this do perhaps:

2 Molly (move 1 into the 10 gallon)
6 Blood Fin Tetras
6 Rio Flame Tetras
2 Kribs
5 Loach of choosing (leaning twords Burmese Border but have heard bad things about them).

Still room left or am I looking socked at that point. Oh and at this point instead of Rio Flame tetras would Tiger/Green Barbs work if kept in a big enough group?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top