looking to return my aquarium light. what planted tank light is best?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Huntress

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I just bought last month the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Fully Automated Aquarium LED, Controller. My plants don't seem to be doing any better than they were with the Aqueon LED fixture I had. At first they seemed to be, but now there turning really bad. I love the light but fear Its not living up to its standards. Can anyone help me with which planted LED fixture to turn to.

Often it is not the light that causes poor plant growth. Often it is a lack of trace nutrients in the water. If you are lacking trace nutrients growth will be slow or inconsistent at best. At worst your plants will die. It might be time to try a complete fertilizer such as Flourish Comprehensive.

I believe I have heard that the Finnex is a very good LED light for planted tanks, so before you exchange it, it might be best to look at other possible factors. BTW, if memory serves me correctly, one of our members, AbbeysDad, has this Finnex light and is very pleased, so if he doesn't see this thread and comment, send him a PM invite.

Light drives photosynthesis, but if adequate nutrients are not available, the plants cannot use the light. Algae usually takes over as it is much less fussy about light or nutrients, and while the naturally-occurring nutrients (from fish and fish foods and water changes) may be insufficient for plants, algae will manage. Knowing your GH (general hardness, a source of the "hard" mineral macronutrients like calcium), fish load, plant species and any plant additives will help identify possible issues.

Byron.

My money would be on a CO2 deficiency, some of these LED outfits are very powerful in terms of light output. As others have already stated knowing more about your water chemistry will help.

What plant species are you trying to grow?

I personally have two of the finnex planted+ 24/7. I believe they are the best lights on the market currently. My plants grow crazy fast with these lights and I can almost bet you it isn't the lights that is causing the plants to die.

It HAS to be something else because the lights are rarely an issue. Do you run it 24/7 mode? Or do you keep it on MAX light for certain amount of hours per day and turn on/off manually?

Need tank info, plant list, co2?, and nurients.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I know I have an Amazon Sword an Anubias Nana and a few others I picked out from those snail free plants at Petco. Not sure really the names, I use Flourish Excel twice weekly, and also those Iron tabs that go under my sand. I am unsure what Co2 I could have. I know I need to do some water changes as soon as possible.I have in my tank, neon tetra's and cory cats. I have a few lyretail mollies that won't stop breeding so I often need to take them out and bring them to the pet store.
Thanks, if you need any other info like pics I can sure help.

Whats size tank? Im guessing no co2 correct? Do you run it in 24/7 mode?

Its a 26 gallon bowfront tank, and no Co2 and no, I usually have it on 8 hours then turn it to moonlight mode

Its a 26 gallon bowfront tank, and no Co2 and no, I usually have it on 8 hours then turn it to moonlight mode
Are you just using the 24/7 mode on 8 hr timer. Or are you off the mode and using the intensity settings? How old is the tank ?

Hi, I usually use the 24 hour 9am that goes through the daylight process mode till around 5 or 6pm then switch and the tank is 6 years old, with live plants just started last year.

It really sounds like your doing right things. A month not a long time for the plants to adjust. Post a picture so we can see the condition of the plants.

d99398c0c3.jpg
this is my amazon sword and another i forgot the name of

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back