Looking for 1-2 fish for a 10g

Okay, cool. You learn something new every day.

How often should I do water changes with the six week old corys?

A wee invertebrate would be nice but maybe not for that tank. :( Snails don't like our soft, acidic water, and I don't want to risk a dead snail in a tiny tank.

Okay, cool. You learn something new every day.

How often should I do water changes with the six week old corys?

A wee invertebrate would be nice but maybe not for that tank. :( Snails don't like our soft, acidic water, and I don't want to risk a dead snail in a tiny tank.
I still do daily changes up until the 2.5 month mark

I do have ramshorn snails in the tank though. They work good to clean up food the fry miss lol but I do get a lot of eroded shells with my ramshorns

Thats what's keeping me from adding cherry shrimp myself, as they don't tend to handle large water changes well.
Just FWIW my group of red rillis has been thriving since April 2018. They have a 75% (30 litres out of 40) water change every week.

Just FWIW my group of red rillis has been thriving since April 2018. They have a 75% (30 litres out of 40) water change every week.
My bamboo and ghost shrimp do fine with that too, but I'm just nervous with the smaller shrimp as ive not been having good luck with them in their own tank as it is lol

But its something I've read with shrimp is to keep the water changes smaller

What about a pair of killifish for your 10 gal?
Was an idea, but was warned they may have a larger mouth and would probably attempt to grab the baby fish.

Though clown killies may work out of my killi options

My bamboo and ghost shrimp do fine with that too, but I'm just nervous with the smaller shrimp as ive not been having good luck with them in their own tank as it is lol

But its something I've read with shrimp is to keep the water changes smaller
I suspect its a problem when people do small changes and then suddenly do a large change. Mine have had large changes since day 1 so the tank water is very similar to the source water. I must confess I am not even too fussy about temperature matching (as long as its within a few degrees).

I suspect its a problem when people do small changes and then suddenly do a large change. Mine have had large changes since day 1 so the tank water is very similar to the source water. I must confess I am not even too fussy about temperature matching (as long as its within a few degrees).
Thats true. I think the person I got them from did 25% every 2 weeks, so ill probably slowly ease them into something a little more frequent and amount to see how they do once the colony gets going.

Normally I do 75-90% on my tanks weekly, with the exception of the shrimp tank and dwarf cray (50% on hers)

How is your GH lower than the KH?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

Bumblebee gobies, peacock gudgeons, Betta imbellis, Aphyosemion or small species of Epiplaty killifish.

Okay, so I got a baby grow out tank, which has been actively used but I know there will come a time that there won't be baby fish in it. The babies added to it are moved from a nursery once they're too big and moved to the 10 where they learn to eat adult foods.

But I am thinking of adding a fish or two that can keep the cycle in this tank when there are no babies.

Criteria:
--must be suitable for a 10g
--must be solo or up to a trio (no schoolers)
--non aggressive

My parameters:
GH 89.5ppm (5DH)
KH 143ppm (8KH)
PH 7.4
Temp range 72-78

Most babies in the tank are usually corydoras, so upper level fish are much preferred.

I already have sparkling gouramis in another tank, not looking at adding those to this, though as of the moment I have 2 temporarily in the 10 with the babies that my friend is taking once she's available for them.
This is the tank, so something that would enjoy this type of setup would be great.
View attachment 123617

Probably grasping at straws here but worth picking peoples brains.
No shrimp please, they can't handle the heavy water changes needed for a baby tank.
PEACOCK GUDGEONS I LOVE THOSE LITTLE GUYS! Such personality and really cool to watch... A male-female pair would be fine in a 10 gallon, and the females are so pretty too they are just as pretty as the males! :D Good luck!

I think a beautiful betta would be perfect for your tank.
Not with the baby fish in there, not worth the risk as id have nowhere to move the betta if it didn't work out

PEACOCK GUDGEONS I LOVE THOSE LITTLE GUYS! Such personality and really cool to watch... A male-female pair would be fine in a 10 gallon, and the females are so pretty too they are just as pretty as the males! :D Good luck!
So far the gudgeons or clown killifish are at the top of my list!

The bamboo and vampire shrimp that live in my 125L tank seem fine with my weekly 75% water changes. But I've read everything about cherry shrimp, from stuff saying they are really hardy, to stuff saying they will drop dead at the slightest variation in water temperature.

Some bettas can be super peaceful. It just depends on the fish. My betta doesn’t even notice the corys, even when he is looking right at him. Just a suggestion, though. Good luck with your tank!

Another Scarlet Badis fan here. SF recommends a pair or small 1M/?F group.
Or Black Tiger Darios? SF also recommends they’re kept as a pair or small 1M/?F group.
I’d have either tomorrow if it wasn’t for the liquid rock around here.

Last edited:
Another Scarlet Badis fan here. SF recommends a pair or small 1M/?F group.
Or Black Tiger Darios? SF also recommends they’re kept as a pair or small 1M/?F group.
I’d have either tomorrow if it wasn’t for the liquid rock around here.
Badis would be really cool!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back