Long Threads Hanging From Plants!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

luckyd

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Last night I seeded a new 15 gallon tank by rinsing filters from two other tanks into the water of the new aquarium. There are no fish in the tank at this point. This morning, 8 hours later, there are numerous long white/clear threads hanging from all the plants. Is this some type of bacteria bloom? Could it be fibers from one of the filters we rinsed? Will it be dangerous to fish? How do I get rid of it?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last night I seeded a new 15 gallon tank by rinsing filters from two other tanks into the water of the new aquarium. There are no fish in the tank at this point. This morning, 8 hours later, there are numerous long white/clear threads hanging from all the plants. Is this some type of bacteria bloom? Could it be fibers from one of the filters we rinsed? Will it be dangerous to fish? How do I get rid of it?

Thanks for any help you can give.
I can't answer your question but I had the same thing with my fish, and it died the other day, I'm curious as well.

Thanks Dorri. I'm still waiting for an answer. This also happened to a lesser degree in one of my smaller tanks awhile back. The fish that was in it died, but I left the filter running. After awhile these weird white threads started hanging off the plants. :S

I ended up taking everything out, washing it, and starting over. I'll probably have to do something similar with this new tank. I'm just glad there are no fish in it yet.

I may re-post tonight if I still don't have an answer.

Sure sounds like pieces of the fiber floss that sometimes gets used as "fine mechanical" filtration media, sometimes called polyfloss. There are different versions of this type of stuff, pads and just fluff. Years ago we used to use glass wool, which was horrible to both fish and man!

~~waterdrop~~

Sure sounds like pieces of the fiber floss that sometimes gets used as "fine mechanical" filtration media, sometimes called polyfloss. There are different versions of this type of stuff, pads and just fluff. Years ago we used to use glass wool, which was horrible to both fish and man!

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks Waterdrop! One of the filters I used did have those types of fibers. They're starting to break down now but there's still some hanging pieces. I'm assuming I need to get that stuff out of there, so I guess the next step is to vacuum and wash the fibers off the plants?

Yes i would say get them out of there. Just vacuum the tank and get the fibres off the plants. You may also want to do a water change.

(wait for some else to confirm my ideas before going ahead)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back