The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fin & Feather

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have several aquariums. Including a Bichir (Dinosaur Eel) tank- very interesting fish.
My latest is a large Cube tank, with a detailed castle, including two swim through tunnels at the castle base. Several Long Finned Albino Barbs glide gracefully and playfully around and through the castle like merry, benevolent spirits.
It looks like somewhat Harry Potterish. I may buy some miniature figurines to match. A wizard and an owl.
My floor medium is River Gems; miniature agate pebbles of tan, milky and clear colors. I have a ring of upright monument stones that ring the castle in colors that match the castle or floor pebbles.
I will add a ring of narrow leaf Ludvigia as a Guardian Forest. These plants come from generations of my planted tanks.
I precycled my gravel, filter and ½ the water in my established tanks. This does much to advance the biological cycle completion to a matter of days, instead of weeks.
I will add several Albino Cories to hunt through the forest like macabre Artic Wolf spirits.
I had purchased an Azoo Mignon 60. Hang on back filter that is compact and a handsome transparent smoke finish. I tested it, and it pumps through 56 gallons per hour and that is at mid throttle.
The LED overhead light that came with the tank is fine, but I used it for a different tank opting for a flexible arm Mingdak LED 24 white/blue lights with a blue night light option. Already the entire completed effect thus far is somewhat ethereal and very calming. It has come to dominate attention in my livingroom.
I did have a question for any reader that knows. My long finned Albino Barbs do not resemble any photos of any Long finned Albino Barbs I have researched. The photos depict a barb with faint stripes and a more orange coloring, shorter tails and a more robust body. MY albino Barbs come in milky white, white, champagne and light orange, with a sleek, torpedo shaped body, ending in long veil-like tail fins...and no stripes. It's disposition is both playful and sedate and not aggressive like some of it's more aggressive subspecies cousins. It is an altogether spectacular fish with a pleasing, agreeable personabilty. Is this a different morph than the Albino Tiger Barb represented in photos and description? Although mine are Barbs, they do not resemble photo or descriptions of said name.

Added to the Albino Barb Castle Tank; 3 iridescent, green rasboras which companion the Albino Barbs and match t some of castle colors so when they seem to pop into exsistance once they swim away from the castle. However, one of the rasboras that came from the fish store's green rasbora tank is a more gem like, very beautiful, teal/aquamarine color. The very knowledgable senior fish expert at the fish store was unfamiliar with this color morph and thought it was an abberation, while I thought perhaps a a different color morph was accidentally mixed in the batch shipment. We searched the fish store's extensive stock and I did much research, but neither revealed the like of this fish. Any ideas would be most welcomed. Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm afraid we can't really help unless you can get some actual pictures of the fish. There are just too many fish that look similar for us to be able to identify them positively, just from a description.

photos are required to id fish.
you could google "Filament barb" for the albino barb, but without pics I am guessing.

Re Albino Barb. I will look up Filament Barb. I don't see an option here to submit a photo. Perhaps I don't understand the icons. I will work on this. Thank you for reply.

There should be a button that says "Upload a File" next to the Post button. You may have to submit a certain number of posts before you are aloowed to upload files.

Thank you, seangee. Am I trying to upload photo. Is photo included in file or this thread maybe doesn't do photos?

Colin_T, Thanks for the input. I looked up Filament Barb. There is some resemblance. My Albino Barbs are without markings and more cylindrical body, more closely resembling an albino cherry Barb minus the stripes and with substantially longer fan tail fins. Thanks again. Mont.

I really recommend this castle ornament. It is very fish friendly. I am not at home now but I will check it for any company inscription.
I happened across it when looking through aquaria items at Value Village. One of the highlights of the design are the tunnels at the base. The bottom tunnel openings are really caves that are connected by a curving tunnel. The fish like to hangout or swim through.
The second tunnel, is on top of the first tunnel, is really an archway the fish swim through. Surrounding and on top of, and deftly incorporated into the tunnels, are the buildings and towers of the castle.
I have seen many castle decorations on line. If anyone wants a castle decore, I would definitely suggest looking for one that have this double tunnel option. The Albino Barb's enjoyment of it is tangible! They also like to pick at food lodged along the crooks and corners of the castle. When I find out the the company that makes this handsome, useful piece, I will post it on this thread.

If you can't post a pic here yet, put the pictures on a free image hosting website and put the link here. We can then click the link and view the pictures at the other website.

Any albino fish will be hard to correctly identify because colour is used for identification. An albino barb or tetra's identity will be know by the breeder and everyone else will have to guess what it is.

For Colin_T , I was just checking the thread and found your suggestion. Smart fellow. I have never done that before. If you know of a free image host site, I could try that. Would Pin Interest be one? I will have to get more detailed photos of the fish - they don't exactly sit for portraits. I think other fish folk might like aquiring these beauties; both these particularIy stunning Long finned Albino Barbs and and the jewel -like turquoise rasbora. Unfortunately, my device hasn't been able to support uploading a video to the air waves. I will try to track down the supplier/breeder through my fish store. And post the suppliers contact info and also see if they can identify. Or I can Email or Text photos to anyone who wants to see them.
When I have time I will have research if fish forums.net supports photos.
My most recent addition of the Long Finned Albino Barbs is the Crown Jewel of any I have seen. This one is champagne colored body culminating in tangerine fan tail fins...a treat for fish fans of fanned fish!
I checked out the castle pretty thoroughly for insignia- none. If I can figure out how to upload some photos, I will include some close ups of the castle. The paint scheme is pretty well done. The clerk where I bought the castle just said, "Wow!" and wasn't commenting on my looks. At least I don't think so.
Also I would like to post photos of this remarkable miniature agate substrate. (River Gems) Milky white, beige, clear. Clearly this is one my favorite mix of aquarium elements and fish over many years of designs.

I use Photobucket.com, it's free and easy to use.

You can post pictures on this forum. At bottom under the box you write things in, is a button called "More Options". Click that and use "Upload File".

Crown Jewel Long Finned Albino Barb Description Correction: Champagne torpedo body; culminating to Translucent Tangerine wide veiled fan tails. I liken it to a Mediterranean tambourine dancer. But there are still clean lines and simplicity in this fish. It's swimming is not hampered by the long tail. It is lively AND graceful. As a bow to it's apparent popularity; I've noticed the fish store tank, stock of these has gone from full to just a few in a few weeks. They look equally well with a few or a large grouping.

Crown Jewel Long Finned Albino Barb Description Correction:
why does it say correction?

If your fish is the fish that comes up when I googled "Crown Jewel Long Finned Albino Barb", then it is an albino tiger barb. If it has long fins it is simply a long finned albino tiger barb.

These are schooling fishes (as are all barbs and tetras) and should be kept in groups of 10 or more. They are also fin nippers and will chew the fins off male fighters and male guppies.

-------------------
The shop only has a few left because they have sold the others. The shop will probably get more in with their next fish order :)

Most reactions

Back