Lonely rainbow shark?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Kerrie Carpenter

Reaction score
Hi guys - I have a rainbow shark - Rosie. She used to live with 3 guppies and 5 rummy nose tetras until she out grew the tank. She is now in her own much larger tank but she hides all time. She will come out if I turn the lights off but not for very long! Any ideas how I can encourage her out of hiding?

Maybe buy some tetras or mid schoaling fish to give her some friends???

I had thought about that as she used to live with tetras but Iā€™m out of space in my tanks if they donā€™t get on Iā€™m screwed lol thought about tiger barbs - they are less likely to be intimidated by Rosie ?

I was just reading yesterday about red tipped because I desperately want one. Any mid level with same water needs should work.

I had thought about that as she used to live with tetras but Iā€™m out of space in my tanks if they donā€™t get on Iā€™m screwed lol thought about tiger barbs - they are less likely to be intimidated by Rosie ?
If tiger barbs are semi aggressive I wouldnā€™t put the 2 together.

Hi tank is 60gal I think - long and low type. GH is 8ish, PH stable at 7.2, temp is 79/80 - logs and caves everywhere- loads of live plants and she has a powerhead on one side. Iā€™ve tried really hard to make it natural for her the only thing I canā€™t have is sand! Had it before and it just turned green really fast. Any ideas on how to encourage her to come out would be great- already tried low lights and no lights! When I do see her in the light her colour is stunning.

Rainbow sharks and tiger barbs are compatible. Is 'Rosie' the only fish in the tank? If so, Rosie may need a dither fish ie: a schooling type fish which occupies the mid-levels. The absence of fish is a sign there are predators nearby, Rosie could be living in fear she about to become dinner. Pure speculation, not sure if fish have this level of intelligence, but Rosie may believe her former tank mates got eaten.

Rainbow sharks and tiger barbs are compatible. Is 'Rosie' the only fish in the tank? If so, Rosie may need a dither fish ie: a schooling type fish which occupies the mid-levels. The absence of fish is a sign there are predators nearby, Rosie could be living in fear she about to become dinner. Pure speculation, not sure if fish have this level of intelligence, but Rosie may believe her former tank mates got eaten.
Hi Mark - really? How would I test this theory? When she was young she was quite happy in the community tank but she out grew it

Hi Mark - really? How would I test this theory? When she was young she was quite happy in the community tank but she out grew it

I first heard about Dither fish while researching German Rams, it makes sense. It's a 60 gallon tank, you have plenty of room for more fish.

I start stocking my new 75 gallon tank tomorrow, it will be tiger barbs and I will get a rainbow shark. It should be a very active tank :) Now the issue with tiger barbs, you are very limited on other tank mates.

Last edited:
Wow - how have I not heard this before! Just done some research and itā€™s worth a go! Thank you very much I canā€™t wait to see her out and about again! Good luck with your new tank

I donā€™t think I will go with barbs now - may get a few fast tetras as she has already been housed with them before- worst case scenario- another tank! Lol

Rainbow sharks are territorial when mature and are also nocturnal. If you want it to come out during the day, have lots of plants in the tank. Floating plants like Water Sprite are great because they shade the tank and make the fish feel more secure.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back