Llj's 8G... Yuma/zoanthid Garden

He's beautiful :drool: I'd cave too :)

Me three!

Thanks, he's eating well and he just a different fish. I didn't want another gramma. I loved that gramma, the other grammas I've seen are so skittish, but he was a fun, outgoing gramma. And this dottyback just struck me as having a similar temperament. I also like how he snakes around everything. Very different from the Mandarin, yet they both get along. The mandarin is doing great.

Right now, I'm moving my Biocube acans over to this tank. I think acans like this tank much better. They are always so fat and puffy here. Different tanks have different personalities and different corals do well in them. The Biocube is sps and zoa central. I also have the big elegance, a favia, a chalice, and a duncan, so I'm sure there's some stinging going on. The warfare is more chemical in the old 8g and for some reason the acans in this tank don't mind it.

L

I have an asterina problem, so I got a natural solution...

3fee2741.jpg

A harlequin shrimp. Asterinas breed in the refugium, so I can keep him alive with the population. A pretty awesome shrimp.

Tank is doing well, I just need to keep the asterina population under control as they are munching on zoas. Added also the large ORA pink birdsnest that killed Mantequilla to this tank. I think it'll do better here and the fish are a lot less skittish. I may upgrade the fuge to a 110. I know, I know...

And... I ordered an Ushio 70w MH bulb. Bulb needed replacing (been almost 8 months) and I wanted to go 20k. I look forward to the color pop. It should be cool. I'll post before and after shots for surez.

Gotta frag that big green paly colony. It's getting big and aggressive. But I'll need surgical gloves, mask, and goggles. I've read about the effects of palytoxin and whoa, I'm not taking any chances when working with that coral.

L

That sounds scary! :hyper: this tanks definately a good one :good: I just wish my tank (when I get sw) will look anywhere near as good as yours.

Or do like me frag severel zoa colonies then i proceeded to stab the scalpel into my finger through the rubber gloves :sick:

Luckily it had no effect but I was abit worried for the few hours after :lol:

Tank looks great and the harlequin shrimps very Cool :drool:

Yes, the harlequin seems to be doing well, and doing his job, which is eat asterinas. Some survived my dipping process for my corals and now the tank is slightly overun. They killed a very nice eagle eye colony. Meh! So the harlequin is there to control the population. When it's done, I'll be buying food for it on a regular basis. It's like buying pods for Lemmiwinks. Oh... just gimme a leg off that starfish there...

Pests in tanks stink, but... Dottyback is doing great for the flatworms and nudibranchs though. I'm impressed actually. Like a little wrasse in many ways.

I'll have to get something to replace that eagle eye colony. Poopy. Other zoas are doing great. The asterinas just headed for that one. Meh...

This tank will get the Aquaclear 110 soon. I just feel that it'll be best.

Mandarin takes pellets and mysis, but I feed him pods too.

L

Loving the tank! Quick question, where are you keeping the harlequin shrimp? in sump or main tank??? I have a lil asterina problem myself but I think my wrasse may think the harlequin is a main course!

I have some bluish looking asterinas. Should I remove them? Jeremy loves them lol. I dunno if he'd be happy about their removal

-Tyler

I have some bluish looking asterinas. Should I remove them? Jeremy loves them lol. I dunno if he'd be happy about their removal

-Tyler

I would if I were you. My harlequin benefits from them, but as soon as the population goes, it's yet another animal that I must provide a constant food supply for. This is the challenge of these systems. Cultivating pods, starfish and other animals to feed the many hungry mouths that I have.

L

Been a while since I've updated this tank.

I had to rehome the Mandarin. ORA claimed it ate pellets, but it really stopped eating pellets after a while in my tank, then stopped eating mysis, then only ate pods. I can't have an animal that only eats pods. So I took it back and it got rehomed.

Tank is otherwise doing very well. Have an awful coralline problem. It's everywhere. Can't afford an urchin, so I may use my leftover paypal money and get the tiny blade scraper and start making a dent on it.

I also suspect something's up with my RO/DI unit. Filters need cleaning and/or replacing. My sps, barring my montiporas and my pocillipora are not up to snuff. They're ok, just not thriving. Params are fine. Went to test the RO with my TDS meter, and well, that needs a new battery.

Hahaha, welcome to the year mark, Lissette!! When everything starts falling apart! :hyper:

Pretty sure that my YWG is now like 4" long. :crazy: Dottyback is almost 3"

EDIT: Whoops! Almost forgot, upgraded to an aquaclear 110. It's awesome.

L

For the first time in a while, I got something for this tank. Last purchase was the harlequin shrimp.

Since pocilliporas and stylopora do so well with this tank, I decided to purchase two more.

I got a green pocillipora.

4513892e.jpg

And a purple stylo. It's awesome. Love it.

c3f40815.jpg

Right now, they're at the base of the tank to acclimate to my lighting. Then I'll afix them onto their final positions.

Oh, and one more shot... Find the dottyback! Must name him!

83d9942d.jpg

L

I have always been extremely jealous about how you covered the rocks in this tank. I absolutely love and enjoy looking a all your photos in this lovely tank!

-Tyler

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back