Llj's 8G... Yuma/zoanthid Garden

lljdma06

Retired moderator :)
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Edit & Warning for those just starting out in Marine: I'm an experienced hobbyist. I have 23 years in Freshwater systems and Planted tanks. I can go at a faster pace than the average hobbyist starting in Marine. I also use unorthodox methods. DO NOT stock the way I stock, especially with regard to pacing. I have the know-how and the heavy maintenance regimen to maintain a system like this. On the other hand, I will tell you to go very slowly with regard to stocking and setup. Thank you and enjoy this journal.

Isn't this tank pretty? It's my old Finnex 8g, 16" x 10" x 11.5". Has a 24W CF fixture.

ffaab63f.jpg

With two Rio 50+ powerheads. A little shy of 20x. But, initially purchased a Hydor pico evolution giving me 20x, but these two seem to physically have more flow, IMO.

b1a4a29a.jpg

Video showing the flow. What do you think? Hard to see. Moves pretty well. Particles are going everywhere. I could also add the hydor too. Or add a third Rio from the planted tank and use the Hydor in the planted. You can never have enough flow and I like the very even distribution that three give.

I've got another item on it the way.

http://www.marinedepot.com/UP_Aqua_UA_F17_6.69_Inch_Flexible_LED_Flexible_Mount_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-UP_Aqua-AZ46447-FILTFILDFX-vi.html

It's only to supplement the lighting and create that "shimmer".

Was going to convert an aquaclear 70 to a fuge, but it's too big to fit behind the tank. May try to convert an aquaclear 50 instead, which is much smaller, but I'll need a different fuge light. The one I got is for the Aquaclear 70 and it's way too big. Need like a clip on LED or something very small, like a pod light or something. Suggestions are helpful here. Otherwise, larger waterchanges are in order and I'll nix the idea of a fuge. Would love the fuge, though, as it would negate the extra powerhead, IMO and it's a great little DYI project. Installing the RO gave me confidence to tackle a DIY. :D

I figured the tank was lying around and it cost less than $20 to change the bulb in the fixture, and $40 for that light. Converting the aquaclear is free and I have all the powerheads essentially. Have the heater. Have extra thermometers. Why not make 8g extra of water? Won't even be 8g of water once I get the LR and sand in. Have to do the water test for copper. I don't remember if I treated this tank or not when it was a planted tank. Hopefully nothing is amiss.

Stocking wise, I have absolutely no idea. No limits other than my lighting and that it's only 8g.

Thanks for looking. It's a lovely tank. Has made some beautiful planted tanks. Hopefully it'll do the same for SW.

llj

Good start, and the flow looks pretty good, though you're going to want more on the surface IMO to keep the pH more stable, and to keep the water oxygenated.

I've converted an aquaclear before, it's very easy (Though mine was an AC 110), and worked great for the time that the tank was up.

As for stocking, I'd do a shrimp/goby pair and some zoas, but you have lots of options.

And one more thing...be careful to keep up with top offs. In a small tank like this, the water level, and consequently the specific gravity, can change in a heartbeat. I'd highly recommend an auto top off, it's much more reliable than yourself anyways. I have a few links from other forums I can send you about DIY auto top offs as well, if you want them.

Looking good. Ha I like the lighting unit. Its going to be a nice little tank, just keep a close eye on your water stats but you already know that.

Two marine tanks?!!! Cool!

How many tanks have you got up and running now llj - did you break your freshwater down to go salty?

Hi Chilli! No, my planted tank is still running, but that system's very stable.

There is no SW in this tank, I'm just testing for leaks as it's been sitting on the floor since last November. I didn't think there was going to be a leak, but I wanted to make sure. Want to also test for copper.

While it's full, I'll be addressing the issues of surface agitation & general flow. I really didn't like the Hydor pico on this system despite what the numbers say on the packaging. 160gph my buns! I'll add a third rio today & angle it up to increase agitation at the surface, but I'm wondering if the Aquaclear 70 or 50 won't achieve a similar effect? Will take video so you can see.

Don't worry, "Pearls" is still going strong. Draining it today. :). But I may fill it first & try the Koralias out. I suspect I'm going to need one more.

Llj

What do you think? Shot a quick video of the surface agitation.

[media] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfG9TmAbV-Q&sns=em[/media]

Should I add a third Rio or do you think the fugue will take care of it?

Llj

Looks fine to me.

Ditto, you could always add the third powerhead in the future if you encounter problems, you shouldn't though.

Can you believe those are only $12?

Pretty cool stuff. I am super excited to get the light. I think it'll look very nice.

Also can't wait to stock this. A lot of species come to mind. It'll be cheaper too, because I won't need much to fill this tank. I'll be supporting my favorite LFS with this tank. Let's see what they can really do for me. :) LR will most likely be from there.

Llj

Here's a video with 3 Rio 50+ poweheads. Much improved surface agitation. Flow is excellent. May experiment with positioning but I think 3 is the way to go. Will probably opt to convert an Aquaclear 50 or just opt for LR filtration. The 70 is way to big & the new light is a clip on so valuable rim real estate will be used if I go with too big a fuge.

What do you think?

Llj

Its up to you Lissette, both either would be fine.

Thanks for your imput. :) it's appreciated.

Wonderful thing to be able to make one's own water. Can now do larger water changes, making it easier to maintain water quality.

Llj

Ok, I'll begin this like I began my update for the 36g... Guess what I got?

a7dc0031.jpg

Packing peanuts!!! :hyper: I've got a load of this stuff now.

a16d193f.jpg

Of course, you know I received sand and salt... But something else too...

Underneath all those packing peanuts...

An LED fixture... I wanted something that wasn't too bright, so I can stagger with the CF fixture... This was the cheap solution. It's really small.

bc0b8a77.jpg

Out of the package.

bb6c50b1.jpg

Clipped onto the tank.

2eb7166c.jpg

Tank with just this light. Not too bad actually. For the size, I was pleasantly surprised.

72ee1b39.jpg

I'll snap another photo at night so it'll be easier to see, but it's not too bad. I also have to purchase an Aquaclear 50. I want to convert it to a refugium, but I just remembered that both my Aquaclear 50s are occupied (Planted tank)... :look: When I pick up my lampeyes tomorrow, I'll buy one.

This is the tank that's going up first. The 36g involves investment in more-expensive macro-algae and seagrasses and more careful planning, despite it being a larger and ultimately easier system to maintain. I'd prefer to do some trial and error with this little 8g as I'm getting everything from the lfs, so there is less initial expense.

llj

Like the light unit, will be a nice little tank when finished

How many leds are actually in the fixture? That thing is pretty slim and nice. I was looking for something similar to this for my refugium in my sump for chaeto.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back