Llj's 4G Now 5.5G... A Little Patch Of Sun!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

lljdma06

Retired moderator :)
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I hate drama, I get annoyed when it happens. I was very happy with the 2.5g that is featured below.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/369867-lljs-25g-i-swear-the-last-one/

But after I put in the sun corals, I was noticing that I'd lose an awful lot of water. No evap, about 1/2" a day. I always have prepared SW, so I'd add more. It was a slow seep. When I started noticing water on the floor, I knew the tank had a leak. It wasn't the filter either, that's the first thing I checked. So, rather than wait for a huge disaster, I decided to search for an upgrade. I saw this tank at a LFS...

e11cc56d.jpg

They had the 2.5g size, but for $5 bucks more I got twice the tank.

Empty in situ

80cab2e8.jpg

Draining the 2.5g. I never found the leak.

0d718472.jpg

Critters in their buckets. I managed to use most of my old water, LR, and substrate, so I don't expect much of a spike.

e8990013.jpg

Was easy to catch everybody. Even the panda goby. Tank is setup now, acclimating the panda goby again.

7c353c28.jpg

Now, I didn't have enough LR, even mooching off the 8g and the 36g, so I spied this nice gsp at the LFS and the owner let me have it cheap. Now, I've got extra LR.

2fdc0499.jpg

bde8db76.jpg

The next day, I had purchased another LED fixture, but on a whim I decided to use mine on this tank. It's not a lot of light, but if the gsp opened, that intensity is really much better for the sun corals. Sure enough, the GSP were open and doing well, so I kept the light.

f1cc87d9.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'm not sure what the plans are. I can add more than I previously thought. Got a bit more real estate now. The GSP really make this tank. When the sun corals open, they are sulking now, I imagine it'll look amazing. I want more crabs, so I'm looking at porcelain crabs now. But as far as other stock is concerned, I'm not sure. I'm open to suggestions.

Edit: also have a rio 90 so 20x turnover! Not including the HOB refugium

L

Sorry to hear about the 2.5, but it sure made a good excuse for an upgrade didn't it?
wink.gif

I love the way the tank looks as it is, but make sure you are careful about how much that GSP spreads, it can be difficult to keep it where you want it if you're not careful.

Sorry to hear about the 2.5, but it sure made a good excuse for an upgrade didn't it?
wink.gif

I love the way the tank looks as it is, but make sure you are careful about how much that GSP spreads, it can be difficult to keep it where you want it if you're not careful.

Yeah, I have to be careful about GSP spreading, the good thing is that the sun corals are portable (they have to be easily removeable for feeding), so that helps a bit. A sea of GSP is an interesting concept in a NPS tank. I'll keep watch for it though. Already the crabs are enjoying it. I want porcelain crabs now as they will host on GSP.

Gosh, nobody likes my tank? I sad... :(

Thats a nice looking tank!

anything for an upgade eh! :good:

love the colours, i'd love to try one of these nanos.

A fun video for you. :) My pompom crab and a scarlet hermit. I have named the pompom, Armand.

I want more pompom crabs and I want a pretty porcelain crab too!

Ok, Black Friday is very bad for me...

Nice little tank there! :good:

I know how Black Friday can suck you in, I went to the hardware store to buy two sheet metal screws. Besides the screws, I walked out with a couple hex wrench sets, & an extendable magnetic part retriever. 36 cents turned into almost $12! :lol:

lljdma06 i love yer tank <3 still conjuring up the guts to try out SW ...just because the cost is pretty hefty..

Nice little tank there! :good:

I know how Black Friday can suck you in, I went to the hardware store to buy two sheet metal screws. Besides the screws, I walked out with a couple hex wrench sets, & an extendable magnetic part retriever. 36 cents turned into almost $12! :lol:

It sucked a lot more than $12 from me! :lol:

lljdma06 i love yer tank <3 still conjuring up the guts to try out SW ...just because the cost is pretty hefty..

Thanks, it's expensive initially, but if you know where to go for frags, you actually can save a bundle. Also if you look to your local Marine club, you can get some really good deals from other hobbyists.

I'll post the updated pictures tomorrow. I'm kind of fading fast. I'm getting very sleepy. I'll tell you what I got though...

1 cleaner shrimp
2 porcelain crabs (pretty white ones with brown mottling)
3 mushroom frags (one was free) :D

L

It's picture and video time! Black Friday goodies!

Skunk cleaner, or Pacific scarlet cleaner... Lysmata alboaslsfhsja (whatever!) I got a little one, he's super cute!

ade905df.jpg

Some funky mushroom frags... I love the colors...

de2b9f35.jpg

Porcelain crab, I got two. :)

cba8d1ff.jpg

fts

1a3464e2.jpg

bb4b7a1a.jpg

Videos...

Porcelain crab.

ftv

Thanks for looking, I think I'm going to sit back and let this tank rest for a spell. I went a little crazy in Black Friday and got too much too quickly. I'm sure everything will be fine, because I'm on top of things always, but you always worry. My panda's doing great. Comes out on occasion and is getting fat. All the critters seem to benefit from the sun corals' daily feedings.

L

Most reactions

Back