livebearers

maranatha22859

Reaction score
Is it possible for livebearers to have an extended birthing process? I first noticed it with a platy. Over the past 10 days I've noticed new fry every couple of days. It started with 4 fry, but now I have about 12. The newer ones are obviously smaller, have less color, and have the erratic swimming pattern of newborns.

Just yesterday, a guppy had just two. She's still quite swollen. She's in a 5 gal tank I use for fry, and I've been looking very closely, but I don't see any others. Has anyone else had these experiences?

Yep, happens all the time. Usually its not spread out over quite as long as 10 days but dropping the fry over several days is very common :)

Thanks, William. I found 4 more fry this morning. BTW, I love your pic! Is it a photo of one of your fish? What type is it?

Hi Maranatha, Did she finish yet? I love guppies too. I had to move one of my ladies yesterday into the net, she looked like she would pop. Someone here, probably William, gave some great info about the abdomen getting reddish just before birthing. This is a great forum, I have really learned a lot!

BTW, William, that is a very handsome guppy! :D :D

Most reactions

Back