Livebearers: Breeding and rearing guide.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Just a quick Q...I've got 2 guppies who look to have been preggers fer about 2 months now and still no sign of bubbies, is it normal to take so long? I've read at some places that usually it's between 2-4 weeks, gettin kinda impatient and worried lmao.

once you have the fry..how soon can you mate them with an adult male????
thanks

Maybe I missed it but is there a rough estimate on long they are in labor? Went to work and when I got home this morning saw my wife had found 15 fry and we have since pulled out 6 more. She still looks big and square. :fish:

wow, thanks so much for that post, my fish just gave birth to fry and b/c of you, i know what to do!

gday guys,

i just bought 2 sunset platies from the local fish shop (1m 1f) they're about 4.5 cm long (almost 2") and very healthy lookin how long can someone with exp. estimate before the female looks like spawning
thnx
,kneller :thumbs:

I bought 3 balloon mollies this morning here they are in the tank...

DG03O344_kissycat.jpg

This is my first attempt with tropical, are balloon mollies easy to look after,guy in shop said he gave me 2 females and a male.I hope i don't kill them just been reading up on them -_-

Mollies are a good beginners fish, they are not delicate fish and will handle a wide range of conditions. Although they will breed readily, so expect lots of little Mollies. Males can be distinguished from females by the anal fin, the males have an elongated fin called the gonopodium.

:lol: EDIT: This is the general breeding guide so William has already put all everyone needs to know. :)

They are fat fish well one is :thumbs:

Let you know if they survive.

I have a huge problem! my male guppy is chasing my female platy! :unsure: is he trying to breed with her or what? :blink:

You betcha! Males are very horny and irritating characters when they want to breed, thats why there's a ratio(2:1 female to male) advised so females don't get over stressed. When you see him chase her, you'll see his gonopodium rise. At that moment he's shooting sperm her way to inpregnant her.

snowyangel said:
You betcha! Males are very horny and irritating characters when they want to breed, thats why there's a ratio(2:1 female to male) advised so females don't get over stressed. When you see him chase her, you'll see his gonopodium rise. At that moment he's shooting sperm her way to inpregnant her.
eww. well you can tell when he's gonna try to mate again because he sort of stretches of his gonopodium before he does like when people stretch before an exercise. :lol: he also nibbles at her vent before he...... :hey:

Xavier finish that story please. :lol:
I was getting some good ideas from it to use on the wife so she wont be so mad about the overtime I've been working. :rofl:

Scorp1on said:
Xavier finish that story please. :lol:
I was getting some good ideas from it to use on the wife so she wont be so mad about the overtime I've been working. :rofl:
:lol: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :rofl: :rofl: good one.

Thank you for the information.. It helped me understand quite a bit. I wasn't planning on breeding, but I have had these swordtails for about three weeks and when I looked in my tanks this morning, there were a bunch of tiny fish. ;) If they keep this up I won't know what to do with all of the fry !! LOL Taceybear

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back