Livebearers: Breeding and rearing guide.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i was wondering wether alll the nebies found this article because there are still alot of posts about breeding questions?? what can be done to make them aware of this article? :blink: :dunno: ........ perhaps the forum shouls be livebearers and breeding them or sumthing like that ........ also it still seem people still post breeding questions into the fish breeding forum (lol) but since i have been away seems like the mods got it under control now lol :thumbs: just wondering

I bought 3 black platys a couple of days ago and to my surprise I found 6 fry quite happily swimming about in the tank this morning..... I will be very happy if they survive... tripling my black platy stock in one fell swoop.

I was surprised too by the size of them .. about a quarter of an ince long.

Good luck john, how are they getting on now? And remember the most important thing.. have fun!! :thumbs:

Hi,
I know this is a stupid question but I must ask anyway :*)

I have two guppies. I have had them for a couple of months and I have no idea of their sex. One of them SEEMS more swollen than usual. I have separated it just in case it is pregnant. Looking at the pictures you have provided my guess would be that it is a male. Is it likely that after two months it would be a she and pregnant for the first time or if it is female would I have seen more action in that time? Maybe he is just larger than I remember him being. Although my husband noticed his size the day after I did...

Confused and feeling silly
:/

William thats really great. Thankyou. I'm another newbie to fishkeeping (and forums so if i've put this in the wrong place, sorry) :huh:

I have had a tank for about 4 months now with no problems at all but was wondering whether my 2 mickey mouse platies were ever going to breed. They are definately 1 male, one female. I am not doing anything in particular to encourage them - do I need to or will it 'just happen'? The female has always been fatter than the male.

Will having 5 tiger barbs and 5 green tiger barbs make the frys chances nil?? :(

Hi blub, it will certainly lower them! you may want to get a net breeder, or alternatively if you have lots of java moss or similar dense plants then you may get a few who survive? Or if you're really quick with the net and catch them. Good luck and keep us posted.

nice article and I agree for the most part, the only thing I would dis agree with would be on the first few sentances you say 2 males and 1 female. What I have read and my experiance is that the males would "mate" her to death with that ratio. I always have read and been told more F than M. :dunno:

Once more I read a thread asking what a pregnant platy looks like.

Can you guys add picks of pregnant mollys, platies, and swords (the guppy's already up there :D)? That should help them out. :nod:

i have two new female guppies from the shop and both are pregnant but how can i tell when they will drop

when they look like theyre gonna explode

Bea/\/ said:
when they look like theyre gonna explode
so the more fat they get ,more close to explode, got it.... my 2f gups are like this fat ---- <<<<- thas how fat they are.... it could take 2 more weeks isnt it? or less?

ummmm.......i think u should wait at least 3 weeks b4 u expect any babys

william. the first thread u posted on here had pics of platies and a female guppy. well its been a long time now and my female looks exactly like the female guppy in your thread. same colour and her gravid spot is pitch black like the one in that pic. i have had her for nearly 2 months now and i havent had any fry from her. all my other females have given birth. i know u know quite alot about livebearers. is she pregnant and how soon will she have them? she is the same size as the one in ur pic. thanx. :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back