Live Rock Spreads?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ben3486

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Im thinking of setting up a marine tank in my 125ltr. I've got quite a bit of ocean rock in it from a cichlid set up and I was wondering if I bought one small bit of live rock and put it amongst my ocean rock will it spread so I end up with all or alot more live rock? I've also just bought a Boyu EF-20 external Filter which is for a tank twice the size of mine. Would this be ok for a set up? Will probably also get a HOB protein skimmer. Have I read right that with this tank(33 us gal) I won't need the external filter eventually?? As the live rock will do the job? I'm not after a huge amount of fish. A pair of common clowns and maybe a cardinal and some thing else small and interesting. All feed back welcomed. Thanks in advance, Ben

Bit of a slow forum now lol

"Live Rock" is rock that has been left in a reef environment (usually an actual reef) to let it be colonised by all the bacteria, fauna, flora and weird critters needed (and unfortunately the "not needed" ones too :X) to keep your marine tank bioload under control. I am guessing you are wanting to know if the bacteria etc will spread from the small piece/s you plan to buy to the other "dead" rock you already have from the cichlid tank. It could but you would only have the life forms that are already on the small piece you buy. And it would take quite a while to colonise the rest of the "dead" rock. You would need to either put the "dead" rock in the ocean for a few months or in a tank with some "live" rock for several months. Personally, I find the purchase of "live" rock to be exciting - you never know what weird, wonderful and mysterious beasties will arrive ("Hitch-hike") on your new piece of marine realestate. On mine, I've aquired zoas, anemones, a mantis shrimp :)crazy: :crazy: ) and various coralline algae's. It's exciting :hyper:

Hmmm I'm thinking I need to see my ocean rock then and go buy me some live rock :) at the minute tho there is a lonesome Oscar and a big gouriami in the tank. I rescued them from my cousins tank. The Oscar is about 10cm and was in about a 40x40x20 cm tank!!! Shocking. I just need to find them a new home and then get my salty water :)

Hmmm I'm thinking I need to see my ocean rock then and go buy me some live rock :) at the minute tho there is a lonesome Oscar and a big gouriami in the tank. I rescued them from my cousins tank. The Oscar is about 10cm and was in about a 40x40x20 cm tank!!! Shocking. I just need to find them a new home and then get my salty water :)

You could probably advertise them for sale in your local paper or shop noticeboard. While you wait to re-home them, you could spend your time planning how you want your live rock to be placed (depends on size, shape, etc but you can get a basic idea). You could set up a small-ish salt tank to cycle a few weeks then purchase some large pieces of live rock - get bits that are fully covered in coralline algaes, growths and seem bristling with many varied life forms - and place them in the fully cycled tank along with your cichlid tank dead rock (I'd also wash it well before adding) and see how the life forms on the live rock go at colonising the dead rock. You will find all sorts of things start growing (or dying, depending on their parameter needs) and moving about the rocks, looking for a suitable spot. Often there are creatures in laval/nymph/immature form attached to the rocks that later mature in your tank. I love this part of the live rock process because you never know what you will score on your rock! Its like a mystery garden which slowly appears, which I find exciting and enchanting - more interesting than the fish, to be honest :look: . I then have fun looking for the creature's identity online. Other people might find that tedious but I enjoy the hunt:D

This is how I have set up my 125 gal. I bought a few pieces of 'dead' rock, and transfered up some live rock from my other tank, and about 2 months in, you can hardly tell the live rock from the dead. You also don't need to worry about die off on the live rock as much, and you won't have to worry as much about bad hitch hikers.

I like the idea of maturing a smaller tank. It just so happens that the Oscar came in its little tank with a heater and filter so could use that. When it's mature do I just place the live rock in to mature? Also when it comes tO transferring to my 125ltr tank how should I do this to get the best start. Obv get my Sg etc correct, but would I use the small filter media in the tank also to give the new tank and external filter a boost??

Ocean rock will not seed off live rock. If you are looking to do this then search for 'reef bones'

ocean rock is quite smooth, where as live rock is really pourous. The bacteria that filters the water in out tanks lives in the tiny little holes on thes surface of the live rock. Ocean rock does not have these holes so wont play house to much friendly bacteria.

Reef bones are just dried out live rock, So in time it will become live again. Ocean rock is just completely different stuff.

You could probably advertise them for sale in your local paper or shop noticeboard. While you wait to re-home them, you could spend your time planning how you want your live rock to be placed (depends on size, shape, etc but you can get a basic idea). You could set up a small-ish salt tank to cycle a few weeks then purchase some large pieces of live rock - get bits that are fully covered in coralline algaes, growths and seem bristling with many varied life forms - and place them in the fully cycled tank along with your cichlid tank dead rock (I'd also wash it well before adding) and see how the life forms on the live rock go at colonising the dead rock. You will find all sorts of things start growing (or dying, depending on their parameter needs) and moving about the rocks, looking for a suitable spot. Often there are creatures in laval/nymph/immature form attached to the rocks that later mature in your tank. I love this part of the live rock process because you never know what you will score on your rock! Its like a mystery garden which slowly appears, which I find exciting and enchanting - more interesting than the fish, to be honest :look: . I then have fun looking for the creature's identity online. Other people might find that tedious but I enjoy the hunt:D

Hi, I was wondering how long it takes before you see the mysteries that the LR contains. My LR has been in my tank for about 2 weeks and all that I can see is a few tube worms (i think) and a brisle worm. Will I see more stuff emerging?? :rolleyes: Is there a way to encourage the growth??

Regards,
Theoilartist

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back