Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Live plants or not?

Discussion in 'New to the Hobby Questions and Answers' started by DominiqueDye, May 22, 2019.

1. DominiqueDye

DominiqueDye New Member

So i decided to upgrade my betta tank. It’s a 10 gallon now and i was hoping to add a mystery snail and possibly a couple small fish (not sure yet but i’ll make sure they are good with betta, suggestions appreciated) but i’m not sure if i should try live plants. I know it’s a lot of work and if it isn’t necessary, I don’t want to dedicate myself to it. Also, any tips for feeding a snail and making sure my betta doesn’t try and steal any? i don’t wanna overfeed or underfeed either. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. WinterSoldier.

WinterSoldier. Fish Fanatic

Live plants are only a lot of work if you make them a lot of work. Also, I just put a whole slice of cucumber at the bottom of my tank and the betta can't get at it

3. Byron

Byron Member

There really are no upper level fish suitable for a male Betta so it would be best to leave him on his own. Invertebrates are fine.

As for plants, like all anabantids the Betta "expects" floating vegetation so some simple floating plants would provide this along with the water quality benefits. Water Sprite is ideal, but Water Lettuce and Frogbit also work. Some of the stem plants do well left floating, such as Wisteria and Pennywort. Provided your light is suitable nothing can be much simpler than floating plants.

4. FishFinatic77

FishFinatic77 Fish Crazy

I would suggest some anacharis. It is super easy to grow, fish love it, and it grows really high, so it will reach the top of the water where it will then bend over and grow on the water's surface. This is actually kind of a win-win because you will not only have a plant in the gravel for your fish to swim through, but the top will float on the water too.

Another great plant for bettas is a marimo moss ball. They require almost no care, and look really cool. Bettas really love to play with them, and rest on them too. The moss balls are also really good for your water.