Little To No Nitrate

Ficious

Fish Addict
Joined
Jun 25, 2008
Messages
947
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Des Moines, IA
is this a bad thing? ive recently read over the words "a little nitrate isnt bad" so this means no nitrate is better right?
 
Well like you have read a little nitrate isn't bad. It's not going to hurt anything and most mature tanks often have consistent readings of nitrate. Now I'm not exactly sure one when that little become too much, I think its around 40 ppm but really it depends on the fish. The remedy for nitrate is a water change and if you're doing a weekly water change of 30% I doubt you'll ever run into any nitrate issues.
 
Many fish can tolerate nitrate into many 100 ppm, some even over 1000ppm but some more sensitive fish like Rams & Discus require less than 20ppm.

It all depends on what fish you have, but remember - many peoples tap water contains over 40ppm of nitrates.
 
So long as your tank is cycled I wouldn't worry about it too much. My tank is large and my fish small so my nitrate readings are almost non-existent most of the time. Also your nitrates could be removed by any live plants you have in your aquarium if the quantities are low enough or the plants numerous enough. If you're really worried take a sample of your water to your LFS and have them test the water for nitrates just to be sure you're doing everything alright. Personally I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over it, just keep an eye on it and do your regular water changes.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top