Little Honey Gouramis

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Debo

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a new 35 gallon tank that I would like to put 6 Honey Gouramis in. Is it ok to have 6 in one tank? I also have in that tank 3 cory's, 5 Guppies, 5 Cherry Barbs. I would also be adding a Blue and Gold Gourami as well as a small clown pleco. How does this sound to all of you? Is this going to be too many Honey's? I think they are so adorable and would like to have more than the two I currently own.
Deb

I don't know about that but mixing barbs with guppies probably isn't the best idea. They will probably end up eating away your guppies tails and the whiskers on any gourami you get! If the honey gourami are going to all be male, then I would say no. Plus bigger gourami like gold gourami will pick on smaller honey gourami because of color resemblance and the fact that they just can. Gourami are mean like that!

Debo another hex :hyper: I think cherry barbs are pretty passive unlike say a tiger barb...but you know that those 6 honey gouramis won't always be little don't you???????? :huh:

I think six in a 35-gal are fine AS LONG AS only two are male. Get rid of the other gourami, they can pick on the honeys, and cherry barbs are some of the most docile barbs in the world. They wouldn't bother a neon tetra. Also if you want to see some cool behavior from them set up two clumps of plants on opposite sides of the tanks and get two males and four or five females. The males will spend all day trying to tempt the females into the plants.

I have a new 35 gallon tank that I would like to put 6 Honey Gouramis in. Is it ok to have 6 in one tank?

Propably too much. Remember to put lot of hiding places and plants. I would consider to buy 1 male and 3 females. Turf is good for them...

I also have in that tank 3 cory's, 5 Guppies, 5 Cherry Barbs. I would also be adding a Blue and Gold Gourami

3 more cories. Don't buy Blue gouramis (gold is same fish, but not same colour), it's big (15cm ~6"), aggressive and need bigger tank when keeping alone. When keeping more of them, you need much bigger tank.

so, final fishlist could be:

1 and 3 honey gouramis
6 cories
5 cherries
1 bristlenose pleco (Ancistrus sp.)
(5 guppies, I would put them into another tank)

Auratus said:
I don't know about that but mixing barbs with guppies probably isn't the best idea.

Cherry barb is quite calm fish. It can be kept in pair or shoal. It doesn't harass other fishes.

FanOFish said:
Debo another hex :hyper: I think cherry barbs are pretty passive unlike say a tiger barb...but you know that those 6 honey gouramis won't always be little don't you???????? :huh:
Honey Gouramis will only grow up to about 2 inches/ 5 cm as far as I know, one of the smallest Gouramis.

Most reactions

Back