Lights?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Rachel.K

Reaction score
I was wondering how long you have to leave the lights on in the tank, I've heard from some sources not to leave them on for too long as they just promote the growth of algae? Is this true?

Thanks

This also depends on the type of lights. Which bulb and how much light (in w) do you have?

What if you dont have live plants? I keep my light on for 14 hours a day is this too much? its on a timer (65 gallon 40watt florecent bulb)i keep it on for this amount because it is kinda the main attraction in my basement, its built in the wall and lookks kinda dull if the lights are not on. Am i leaving it on to long? what is the max it should be on?

Joeyt66 said:
What if you dont have live plants? I keep my light on for 14 hours a day is this too much? its on a timer (65 gallon 40watt florecent bulb)i keep it on for this amount because it is kinda the main attraction in my basement, its built in the wall and lookks kinda dull if the lights are not on. Am i leaving it on to long? what is the max it should be on?
If you don't see any problematic (i.e. unwanted) algae, why not leave them on as long as you want? I used to have one of my tank lights on for 14 hours a day, and fishes certainly didn't have any problem with that.

Most reactions

Back