Lights Question Black Light Vs Normal Light Vs Marine Light

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

proton

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have purchased a second hand Rio 240 and it has come with two lights on it, It has a normal bright white light I assume it's for aquarium type lights, and a Marine Blue light (not quite black light - UV).
I actually don't like the Marine Blue Light as it doesn't show the colours of the tropical fish it actually subdues them.
The natural white light seems to do better, than the Marine Light.

I would like to get a UV (Black Light) on one ballast and a normal day time tropical freshwater light on the second ballast.

1st does a black light work in brining out the colours of the fish at night? and second can I actually modify the ballasts to be able to switch them on independantly of each other? i.e. on for day and one for night? and how would I go about setting this all up on a timer? :S

Ta

Heya proton!!!

the lights that you got in there were for a maine fishies so whoever had it before you probably had marine fish in there, you have a white light and marine blue (antic) light although ok they wont really do alot for your tropicals i would say ditch those and get some specific ones for your trupicals they will look much better!!

how handy are you with electrics and DIY? it is possible to do this with the lights but you need to break the case open on the light unit then rewire it via another switch then stick it all back together!!

personally id just get 2 normal tubes, then if you really want a "moonlight" for nighttime viewing and activities then look at getting a separate one :)

HTH
Andy

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back