Lightly boiled garden peas

phil

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All

I would like to ask someone to clarify what they mean by lightly boiled de-shelled peas - I know it may sound silly but hear me out:-

You have a "pod" of peas and then each pea has a shell !

I am currently thinking of boiling the de-podded peas and then boiling the peas then liquidising the rest - does each individual pea need to be de-shelled?

Phil

I use de frosted frozen peas.......just take each one out of the shell,and pop them in the tank.There is no need to boil them. HTH.

Yes, each individual one needs deshelled - you just want the "mush" inside the pea, not the pod, or the shell.

thats kind of a good question, ive never thot of it like that :unsure:

but yes each INDIVIDUAL pea needs to be taken out of the skin, its not really a shell its more of a skin

This is what i do:

I take some frozen peas, put them in a dish with a bit of water, cover itwith clingfilm, microwave it for 20 seconds. tehn i squidge each individual pea out of its shell and mash them all up with a tiny fork.#
what fsh are yo ufeeding it to?

Can you feed these to leopard and zebra danios? Do you have to mash them up? I thought you just put in the whole de-skinned pea? I've never fed my fish peas before but was thinking of it to add variety.

the reason i mash it up is because if its a whole pea it jsut sinks to the bottom and they ignore it but if its loads of teensy pieces theyll eat it. MY fish are predominantly carniverous anyway, I guess vegetarian fish would take more interest in it. IME danios eat pretty much anyhting so it's worth a try I guess, I don't think I gave mine peas though.
Just try and see what works for you. :)

Hi All

Liquidising the peas (once deshelled) works as well just don`t do it too long or it just breaks up into a mush but it`s ideal for the fry and tetras, the bigger bits went down well with the others as well.

It was the first time I had tried peas and looking at the attitude of the fish will definitely give them a few per week - it`s just a pain having to de shell loads of peas.

Phil

Most reactions

Back