Lighting

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

BURFY FISH

Reaction score
I have recently bought another tank that is taller than my old one. I am not very experienced with tropical fish yet and need some advice. The new tank only has halogen light not a UV one.....does this cause a problem will all my fish die and will my plants die? if not how do i buy the right equipment as i have only seen the UV bulbs on sale not the whole unit.........

Burfy,

From what I can remember quartz halogen lights do not produce anywhere near the same amount of lumens per watt (approx 17) as flourescent lights will (in most cases approx 70 lumens per watt), therefore you need to supply a lot more watts of halogen to establish the same amount of light obtained with a flourescent.

So although you could use them the light source would be a lot weaker & the colour given off is not too attractive either (yellow hue), which would affect both plant / fish growth and health.

On top of this halogen lights also generate a greater heat source so if you are already in a warm climate tank temp could be a consideration.

My recommendation would be to go flourescent and either:

1) Get a new hood built.
2) See if you DIY your hood to take flourescent tubes.
3) DIY a new hood with flourescent

I am not at all DIY minded but I am sure if you asked around some-one would be able to help you out with the actual working / parts required etc of it.......

Like I said a lot of this is from memeory so it may be an idea to wait for some-one else brave to chip in.......

HTH some..... :D

Sorry something else just sprang to mind....

These are deff halogen and not metal halide bulbs ?

Also found a link on building a hood:

Simple Hood

Again HTH.... :D

Most reactions

Back