Lighting Question

cpirnie3

New Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi, I'm setting up a 150G with oscars and a synadonis. I was thinking using about an Aqualight T5 Fluorescent light with a Colormax bulb but I just saw one in real life and the color of the light was too purple for my taste. I really like the aqualight's look, but the Colormax bulb is no good. I was thinking about a Aqualight with either a 6700K or 10,000K bulb. The only problem is that I'm pretty sure the algae will grow like crazy with those bulbs and as I'm not doing a planted tank, that's a big negative. Basically, I'm asking if anyone knows a good relatively inexpensive lighting system with a nice white colored light that won't make my algae growth explode.

Thanks in advance,

C
 
You will probably have algae with those t5 power compact lamps. The 6700K is a bright white bulb that shows natural color. The 10,000k bulbs are purple.

For an alternative you can get an inexpensive shop light for around $10 and buy a set of 6500K bulbs for around $6 more. You shouldn't grow huge amounts of algae with one of those.

And welcome to the forums!
 
I thought 6700k was more of a yellowish tint, 10000k was a white daylight color, and 20000k a bluish purple color. Either way, you are gonna get algae. Just get some leds if you want to cut back on algae.
 
I thought 6700k was more of a yellowish tint, 10000k was a white daylight color, and 20000k a bluish purple color. Either way, you are gonna get algae. Just get some leds if you want to cut back on algae.


I have 6500k in both light fixtures and they are white. Now 5700K bulbs are yellow.
 
Depending on the source you believe, the surface of the sun is around 5500K to 6000K. That means that dayligt would be close to that temperature at noon when there is little bending of the light going on. Sunlight is not white as we all know, it is slightly yellow. The 6700K will seem whiter and by the time you get to 10000K the light will start to take on a slight bluish hue. To many people, a bluish color seems whiter than white, it is why they use bluing agents in laundries. By comparison the typical 2700K to 3300K spectrum of a warm white or even a cool white seems very yellow when compared to higher temperature spectra. The ideal light for your tank is one that makes it look the way you like it. I prefer the lights around 6500K but to each his own.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top