Lighting Issue

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cheese1989

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have just setup a new tank and transferred my fish from an old damaged tank. New tank is 4' x 1.5' x 1.5'

Installed a 4' fluro light with a 38 watt white tube and my fish are absolutley terrified of it had the light for about a week and the fish won't come out from hiding.

Any advice on a less bright wattage or colour? I had a look around at some pet shops/fish shops and most had similar tubes.

Thanks.

It's a fairly standard tube type, and shouldn't be all that bright.

Options for keeping the fish from getting too upset would generally start with providing enough cover. Counter productive sounding, but if the fish have places to hide that they know then they tend to spend more time in the open. Otherwise there's the simple options of raising the light slightly to lessen the intensity, putting a semi-opaque film over the cover glass, or a mesh, to cut lighting throughput slightly, or adding in floating plants if you have stock that won't eat them.

If the issue is at lights on and they settle afterwards then there's the option to add a secondary weak light source, such as a short LED strip, that's timed to come on before the main light.

Of course it could just be that they're adjusting to the change and you don't need to do all that much at all.

After that you're looking at new light units probably, as that's one of the lower end intensity options already.

Thanks all valid points I may try and lift the light a little or maybe put some mesh under it. Thanks for your help

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back